+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Outdoor outlets and kitchen gfci

Quote Originally Posted by NEC View Post
    hanabanna must be speaking of me.............
    not hardly and you know who I'm talking about

Quote Originally Posted by havanagranite View Post
    not hardly and you know who I'm talking about
    Does it smell like a dwarfwytch?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Over My Hammy View Post
    It is important to clarify if you are referring to a multi-wire branch-circuit (its still one circuit - just more than one hot sharing the same neutral) or just a multi-outlet branch circuit with more than one GFCI receptacle on it.

I do NOT KNOW WHAT A "multibranch circuit" is or what you mean.

IF you have a MULTIWIRE BRANCH CIRCUIT you would know this IF
    You went to your PANEL.

Each "hot" of a multiwire branch circuit would be supplied from a different buss. In a 120/240 split single phase that would have one hot from the "A" leaf or buss and the other hot from the "B" leaf or buss. They would SHARE the neutral.

IF you have a MWBC supplying - you SHOULD have a single 120/240 multi-pole GFCI circuit breaker protecting the circuit in the panel. It is very important that should one hot of a MWBC be opened - all HOTS of the same MWBC be opened AT THE SAME TIME.
    Don't know where in the world you are posting from or what is minimum requirements for your location, but this is the latest minimum standard in the NEC, and is the minimum requirement for personal safety.

Otherwise pull new circuit cables and run separate 2-wire (plus ground) circuits for your two Small Appliance Branch Circuits required for the kitchen countertop.

The outdoor porch outlet should be GFCI protected and weatherproof cover. It should not be supplied by small appliance branch circuits required for the kitchen countertop.

There are many ways to provide GFCI protection for a circuit or receptacle location. In the case of a MWBC there is really only one safe way to do so and involves first protecting the entire multiwire branch-circuit with a single GFCI Multipole circuit breaker at the panel.
    Here is a photo to go with the advice......

Quote Originally Posted by NEC View Post
    I can quote code after code from the NEC but basically you need two 20a small appliance circuits which just serve receptacles for eating areas......... Not outside receptacles.
    Do it. That's not what the NEC says.

Who knows WHAT code or edition or ammendments, applies or where he lives.

However NO edition of the National Electrical Code says exactly what the poster calling himself NEC said it says.

Hint: Countertops. Hint: Exceptions.

20 amp MWBC is acceptable and National Electrical Code compliant to supply kitchen countertop receptacles.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Over My Hammy View Post
    Do it. That's not what the NEC says.

Who knows WHAT code or edition or ammendments, applies or where he lives.

However NO edition of the National Electrical Code says exactly what the poster calling himself NEC said it says.

Hint: Countertops. Hint: Exceptions.

20 amp MWBC is acceptable and National Electrical Code compliant to supply kitchen countertop receptacles.
    LOL!

Hey Leslie. Did they let you out of the nut house? Or, did you get a pass to use the internet?

Fellas come on Happy New Year the postings i get to enjoy here have helped me allot. Some sure can write it way better then me and surely know much more too. Thanks. Be good to each other at least now at least today.
    Last edited by Timothy Miller; 01-01-2010 at 04:09 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Does it smell like a dwarfwytch?
    we all know how she can ruin a thread fast

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Miller View Post
    Feels come on Happy New Year the postings i get to enjoy here have helped me allot. Some sure can write it way better then me and surely know much more too. Thanks. Be good to each other at least now at least today.
    Tim:

If you only knew, if you only knew.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Miller View Post
    Fellas come on Happy New Year the postings i get to enjoy here have helped me allot. Some sure can write it way better then me and surely know much more too. Thanks. Be good to each other at least now at least today.
    I would agree with you Tim, however this troll has had many lives and many alias', most of which have been banned. Please forgive our intolerance of a problem that has plagued TOH for years. When your eyes start to roll into the back of your head from the misinformation, misdirection, and tirades that this individual perpetrates, you'll soon tire of her as we have.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

when I first came here I actually came to her defense. but it quickly becomes obvious that her intent is not really to help but rather only to build her ego. and this is done at the expense of everyone around her. she is the master of google search and when you try to bring in real life experience she thinks her google trumps your experience not wanting to admit that anyone can type anything onto a web page regardless of its truthfullness. her condescending attitude and tirades when disagreed with are unmatched and she will go on her triades without provocation