Hello there,

I'm worried about calling an electrician for help and getting bad advice. We have a 200-year-old house. Fuses blow constantly if space heaters are on. It's a jungle of extension cords. There are definitely not enough outlets according to code.

As with all old houses, there are several issues. We have water pressure issues. We have radon. We were told we can't insulate the attic because the roof can't take the snow load. We have no bathroom venting. Believe it or not, installing geothermal would probably allow for a payback time of about 3.5 years.

My thought is this - we'll probably end up tearing up lots of walls if we do some wiring. It seems to make sense to add in vents and plumbing at the same time. So that's the perspective I'm coming from.

I definitely think upgrading the electrical panel is worth it. Clearly, as well, we need to install more outlets and run more circuits all over the house. My question is - how do you know if you need to rewire what has already been run? Is there something I can do before the electrician comes to see for myself?

Perhaps tomorrow I can add some pictures. Just wanted to see if anyone had some thoughts.