+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Red face Re: electrical switch

Thanks to all that responded. All good advice. I'll let you know what happens.

Default Re: electrical switch

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    A single pole switch basically shorts the two wires together or disconnects them. It doesn't matter which screw which wire goes on. A 3-way can be used as a single pole switch and preform the same function. It would appear you have not furnished us with all the pertinent information. Disconnect one of the wires from the switch and turn on the power. If the light is still on then it is not the switch.
    Jack

Jack
    I have also used a 3 way switch in place of a single pole. Mainly till I can return the next day with the proper switch. Most often in temp lighting situations.
    Just wondering aloud, what does the NEC say about such actions.
    Any code sleuths out there willing to tackle that one?

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie_Fergler View Post
    I have also used a 3 way switch in place of a single pole. Mainly till I can return the next day with the proper switch. Most often in temp lighting situations.
    Just wondering aloud, what does the NEC say about such actions.
    Any code sleuths out there willing to tackle that one?
    No code violation that I am aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by NEC View Post
    No code violation that I am aware of.
    I would agree along with that.
    Maybe we can petition the NEC in the next cycle to address that very non issue.
    On second though, maybe not....

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie_Fergler View Post
    I would agree along with that.
    Maybe we can petition the NEC in the next cycle to address that very non issue.
    On second though, maybe not....
    Go for it!

http://www.nfpa.org/categoryList.asp...&cookie_test=1

Smile Re: electrical switch

Thanks to everyone who responded to my switch problem. I followed the advice to track the wires to the fan. The problem was in the box at the fan. I called my electrician who walked me through it and I rewired the fan properly. The switch works great. Thanks to everyone!!!

If you have a blue and black wire it must be a switch loop. But even then with the blue wire being the grounded wire, it should be remarked as a ungrounded wire with tape or the such. To me it sounds like you have a phase to phase somewhere. With the power on, take a volt meter to it and see what voltage you get. If the tester reads 240V or there abouts it is a phase to phase short but won't trip the breaker. If it reads 120v or so, then it's a different problem that I am unaware about unless I look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by susieski View Post
    Thanks to everyone who responded to my switch problem. I followed the advice to track the wires to the fan. The problem was in the box at the fan. I called my electrician who walked me through it and I rewired the fan properly. The switch works great. Thanks to everyone!!!
    Good to hear........