+ Reply to Thread

Default Silcock/bib handle extension?

My parents have a frostproof silcock beside their deck. It's too low to reach over the rail, too far a walk off and around the deck for my aging mother to make daily (waters flowers), and we'd rather not connect a hose and leave it on.

I am certain that I saw an extension on This Old House or Ask This Old House that was used in the same situation. It consisted of a "false" faucet, i.e. a knob and gear mounted to a plate, a second gear that replaces the knob on the silcock, and a chain that connected the two. Turning the top knob drove the chain which drove the faucet shaft.

Is anyone familiar with this device? Know what it's called or where one can be found ******? I've had no luck with my searches.

Thanks!

Default Re: Silcock/bib handle extension?

You mean you'ld by a contraption like that and not just invest in a quality hose and sprayer and just buy some washers every year maybe. Drag it out once a year and put it away once a year. Painless. Stay away from Gadgets and stick with the tried and true.

Yes, I would invest in a contraption like that rather than use a hose extension. One is neat, conveniently located, easy to access and operate, leakproof, much more freezeproof, etc. and the other is not.

I can't expect my mom or dad to walk down and around the deck several dozen times a year to turn water on/off because they're still using the deck during periods when faucet busting freezes are possible. It's often wet, muddy, and slippery enough that I don't like walking to it and even risk falling myself.

So they water all year round? When it freezing and such!? Here is the flaw in the GADGET. It may or may not work on their faucet. Their are several manufacturers and they are all different from each other they even change up their designs so two of the same model hydrant may not be the same internally or the handles may not interchange. All I'm saying is you may well be wasting your time and money on a contraption that is bound to require some repair itself at some time and will no doubt end up broken, leave a rusty stain or what ever when you could relocate or add a hydrant in a convenient location 'Cause when it fails who are your parents going to call to deal with it. I know who mine called and will keep calling til its handled. Don't frustrate yourself or get ripped off. That gadget is is a snake oil fix and you can bank on that. Suit yourself though do what you want no doubt.