+ Reply to Thread

Question How can I level a large 'bump" in basement floor

Attempting to remodel basement myself. I have removed a couple of non-load bearing walls to open up the space. I have come across a raised portion of the floor where I believe the original furnace was placed when the home was built (1961). This raised portion is about 2 ft x 3 ft and the poured concrete floor is sloped up the meet the top all the way around. The slope was created when the floor was poured and is not seperate from the floor so chipping it off is not possible. The "bump" is about 2 to 3 inches higher than the rest of the floor. Do I have to pour a new slab across my entire basement (costly) or can this "bump" be ground down and if so how?

Default Re: How can I level a large 'bump" in basement floor

I would saw cut around the offending bump up, then break up and remove it. Then pour a new slab to repair the hole.
    Saw cutting concrete inside is an interesting experience that involves a mask, ear & eye protection, plastic sheeting and a little nerve.

Default Re: How can I level a large 'bump" in basement floor

Quote Originally Posted by Robert7911 View Post
    Attempting to remodel basement myself. I have removed a couple of non-load bearing walls to open up the space. I have come across a raised portion of the floor where I believe the original furnace was placed when the home was built (1961). This raised portion is about 2 ft x 3 ft and the poured concrete floor is sloped up the meet the top all the way around. The slope was created when the floor was poured and is not seperate from the floor so chipping it off is not possible. The "bump" is about 2 to 3 inches higher than the rest of the floor. Do I have to pour a new slab across my entire basement (costly) or can this "bump" be ground down and if so how?
    Check with your local ready mix concrete company and aks if they can mix a pourable grout. It is self leveling and they can design the strenght you require.
    If they will not mix it than check DRYTEX leveling Compound it comes in a bag you mix on site.
    Also the ready mix company may have a pourable fill material strenght can be adjusted this one may have FLY ASH IN IT if so make sure you tell them it will be used on the interior.