+ Reply to Thread

Default Bathroom floor leveling

I am remodeling a small bathroom (9x5). The floor slopes along the 9 foot length. There is a 1/2 inch difference from one end to the other. I realized this after installing the subfloor. Do I need to be concerned about this? What is the best way to handle this? I've been told not to worry about it. Just thought I'd get another opinion or two before proceeding. I thought about taking up the subfloor and shimming the joists. The floor is flat and level in the other direction. It just slopes the one way.

Default Re: Bathroom floor leveling

A 1/2" over 9 feet isn't going to be noticeable, don't worry about it.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Default Re: Bathroom floor leveling

Depending on how fussy you are, 1/2 inch in 9 feet can look funny, if you place something along that wall, within eye sight from the stool. If the stool was opposite this wall, I would notice it immediately, because anything on that wall, would not be level according to the ceiling. I once had a bathroom like that, and it drove me crazy whenever I would sit on the toilet, always seeing how unlevel things appeared.

Most people might never notice it, but you will. If it is still convenient, I would shim every floor joist, so everything is level. Everyone's taste is different. Whenever my wife and I go somewhere, she will always ask my why I am looking around at the construction in any building. Guess I learned from a very young age, that levels are made for one purpose, making thing look straight.

Just my thoughts for the first day of 2010.

Enjoy.