+ Reply to Thread

Default Frozen SC-6 spray tips

Titan 440i with an lx-80 gun.

Someone left my tips soaking in water for several days outside. Temps reached as low as 12f. 2 tips in water 1 in thinner.

They actually had no purpose or reason to move them outside so I'm not real happy. I have never had frozen tips before. I don't want to waste my time checking them. I know what frozen water can do to a pipe. These are tiny pipes with fine holes. I think they are done. Anyone else run into this, if so did you try to save the tips or is it just a waste of time?

Default Re: Frozen SC-6 spray tips

It is doubtful that the tips were harmed. To damage, ice must be held captive, such is the case with a waterline. The spray tips are nothing but a hole, any tiny amount of water would be able to expand out one end or the other. Since it take all of 30 seconds to change a spray tip, toss them on the gun and take them for a test run.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

You say doubtful but not impossible. I ask because the same someone who moved my tips outside, expects me to use them on finishes that will be guarenteed. I feel as you do where as water can expand through the holes. I think these tips will be only good for priming walls followed by back rolling. As for your 30 seconds to change a tip, I can do it in 15. But, I dont need the gun right away and I'm not about to set it up for a test. I've bought new tips and feel better. If I get a chance to test them I'll post back.

General,

I would have to agree with Spruce. The orifice in the tip is obviously open at both ends. Even if the orifice were sealed, those tips are designed for pressures well over 3000PSI. Tungsten is amazingly tough. I have always wondered how the manufacturers drill the orifice to such high tolerences in such a hard material.
    I appreciate your ire at whoever did not properly take care of your equipment. Any damage would be immediately obvious on a test panel before you commit to the actual surface to be painted. A properly functioning tip will give a tight vertical stripe, rather than oval. It will also not send out any "tails" in errant directions.

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    It will also not send out any "tails" in errant directions.
    That's the part I've never been able to rectify. All my tips have a good spray pattern, but they leave heavy tails at both edges of the fan. New or used tips, it's always been a problem. Thick paint, thin paint, doesn't seem to matter, the tracer lines always seem to be there which makes it difficult to get a good finished pattern without lines in it.

I've got a Titan EVX, btw. The implement I really like is the power roller! When it works right, it's such a God's send. When it wants to be a PITA, well, it's a real PITA! LOL
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

LOL!

Old painters never die, they just go to lacquer land.

Quote Originally Posted by NEC View Post
    LOL!

Old painters never die, they just go to lacquer land.
    No, old painters never die, they just become lacquerluster ...

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    No, old painters never die, they just become lacquerluster ...
    Their brain cells deteriorate?

Spruce,

Have you tried gradually increasing the pressure until the "tails" disappear? There is an optimum point between too much pressure with too much atomization, and too little pressure where tails appear.

The irregular tails I was referring to before can occur when a tip has not worn uniformly. This tail will often be off to the side, as opposed to heavy tails at the top and bottom of the otherwise normal looking spray pattern.

I am no expert in airless spray, as I did not often have the opportunity to optimally use it. My work was mostly high end residential, mostly occupied. I did very little commercial or new construction. I used my HVLP unit far more than my airless.

Several years ago I moved to Portland, Oregon from the Chicago area. I am still amazed at how the contractors here use the airless for everything. I don''t think they know what a brush or roller is!

Have you tried gradually increasing the pressure until the "tails" disappear? There is an optimum point between too much pressure with too much atomization, and too little pressure where tails appear.
    This is true to a point, color and product play a major role also. I have sprayed thousands of gallons of oil and latex over the years. When I painted for the state, I got so good at spraying that I had 2 bed room units done in 2 hours. 1 Guy assisted/prepped 1 guy brushed rolled the kit/bath. I sprayed everything else. Actually set some records according to the complex manager for that site. For high end applications I spray what I can/back roll. Like primers and ceilings. Brush and roll the rest. If a customer is afraid of spraying then I'll do it old school, I'm cool with that. Nothing beats a sprayed finish for wood in my opinion. I've come very close with Purdy’s and 1/4" nap rollers. Product plays a huge role here. With sprays, you can spray almost any product and it will look good…Just not as durable as premium products..
    Knowledge is POWER!
    "As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I have no fear because I am the meanest **edited person** in the whole valley" ~Gen. George S. Patton