+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: 100 amp to 150 amp

Quote Originally Posted by reenieandrod View Post
    I hope this clarifies the 4" tile I talked about. This tile is readily available at Menards. etc. It comes in rolls, like farmers regular field drain tile, except it has no holes. It is pretty tough stuff, yet flexible enough to follow the contour of the earthen trench.
    In these parts, the electric provider would laugh you out of the Electricians Union if you used drain pipe. We use 4" electrical conduit which is stubbed 6' up the service pole. The utility caps and waterproofs the end.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by reenieandrod View Post
    The 4 inch tile is like field drain tile, with no holes, that all the contractors in this area use, to prevent rodents from gnawing on the wires. There are so many unnecessary service calls, where gophers have chewed on the wires, causing a short, even though the cables are 4' underground. Yes. it is approved. The electricians seal the end with expanding foam, then add a layer of silicone to make it water tight.

In this area, because the electric co-op pays for the new meter socket, and larger disconnect box, most all electricians go to 200 amp service, to accomodate future current demands. They always use larger wire, too, to meet future demand. Never skimp on electrical wire sizes. It is much tougher for rodents to gnaw on something 4" in diameter, that a regular underground electric line. Just one more defense against those critters.

I hope this clarifies the 4" tile I talked about. This tile is readily available at Menards. etc. It comes in rolls, like farmers regular field drain tile, except it has no holes. It is pretty tough stuff, yet flexible enough to follow the contour of the earthen trench.
    Ummmmmmmmmmm??? Okay........

Where I am we need to follow approved wiring methods and conduits per the NEC.

I have never known a rodent to chew through schedule 40 PVC but I guess your gophers could be much bigger than ours.

***! Do those critters chew threw your house at night and eat the pets and children?

Here we do direct bury, I guess we have better mannered gophers.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Here we do direct bury, I guess we have better mannered gophers.
    Jack
    As Carl Spackler once said, "Correct me if I am wrong, but if I kill all the golfers, they're going to lock me up and throw away the key".
    Last edited by Ernie_Fergler; 01-03-2010 at 08:41 AM. Reason: spellin

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie_Fergler View Post
    AS Carl Spackler once said, "Correct me if I am wrong, but if I kill all the golfers, they're going to lock me up and throw away the key".
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rThXR...eature=related