+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 100 amp to 150 amp

I recently had a new panel put in. I went from a 100 amp to 150 amp panel. I called the electric company and they said that they don't need to change anything on their side for this upgrade. Can anyone tell me if this is correct. I thought they would have to upgrade something since I only had 100 service.

Thanks

Smile Re: 100 amp to 150 amp

What size wires do you have coming from the meter to your breaker panel? Two years ago, I went from 100 amp service to 200 amp service, for the installation of a new heat pump, and the electrician had to replace all the wires coming from the pole outside, to the indoor panel. Luckily, the underground wires were inside 4" corrugated plastic tile, so all he had to do was pull out the old wires, and pull the larger ones to replace the smaller wires. The entire disconnect box on the pole had to be replaced, too, with a larger one. Maybe it might be different with just a 150 amp service.

I have never even heard of a 150 amp service, and several of my uncles were electricians their entire lives, all over 40 years each.

Hope I helped a little bit.

Default Re: 100 amp to 150 amp

For several years the electric companies have been putting in 200 amp meter bases, wiring, and transformers regardless of the service installed int he home. If they say they have to do nothing that is probably the case. The electrician who installed the panel should have replaced the drops if it were needed.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    For several years the electric companies have been putting in 200 amp meter bases, wiring, and transformers regardless of the service installed int he home. If they say they have to do nothing that is probably the case. The electrician who installed the panel should have replaced the drops if it were needed.
    Jack
    Morning Jack
    Once again we enter into the realm of the regional thing. In central Pa. the homeowner {or the electrician** is responsible for the SE cable and the meter base. {overhead service**
    Back to the OP, I am sure the power concern will have a record of the size cable used in the service drop.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie_Fergler View Post
    Morning Jack
    Once again we enter into the realm of the regional thing. In central Pa. the homeowner {or the electrician** is responsible for the SE cable and the meter base. {overhead service**
    Back to the OP, I am sure the power concern will have a record of the size cable used in the service drop.
    Ernie, you got me again, here the co-op handles everything to and including the meter base.
    Jack

Ernie, you got me again, here the co-op handles everything to and including the meter base.
    Jack
    Would the co-op bill the homeowner for providing those materials & services?

When I put mine in they furnished the base, I had to do the trenching (underground line from pole), they ran the cabling from the Xformer to the base and connected to the base no charge. I think they now charge for the base and a limited run, you have to pay for any additional distance and poles if required..
    Jack

When I put mine in they furnished the base, I had to do the trenching (underground line from pole), they ran the cabling from the Xformer to the base and connected to the base no charge. I think they now charge for the base and a limited run, you have to pay for any additional distance and poles if required..
    Jack
    Thanks for the info.
    Sounds like buried cable work is done in the same fashion in both places. Here you install the PVC and tug a string line though and the power concern will tug the cable.

Quote Originally Posted by reenieandrod View Post
    Luckily, the underground wires were inside 4" corrugated plastic tile, so all he had to do was pull out the old wires, and pull the larger ones to replace the smaller wires.

I have never even heard of a 150 amp service, and several of my uncles were electricians their entire lives, all over 40 years each.
    I am sure you are a wonderful and well meaning person, renigotrode, but your posts about electrical make little if any sense.

Would you please tell us what the "4" corrugated plastic tile" was?

Glad your uncles made it 40+ years in the trade........

150 amp services are pretty common.
    Last edited by NEC; 01-01-2010 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NEC View Post
    I am sure you are a wonderful and well meaning person, renyrode, but your posts about electrical make little if any sense.

Would you please tell us what the "4" corrugated plastic tile" was?

Glad your uncles made it 40+ years in the trade........

150 amp services are pretty common.
    The 4 inch tile is like field drain tile, with no holes, that all the contractors in this area use, to prevent rodents from gnawing on the wires. There are so many unnecessary service calls, where gophers have chewed on the wires, causing a short, even though the cables are 4' underground. Yes. it is approved. The electricians seal the end with expanding foam, then add a layer of silicone to make it water tight.

In this area, because the electric co-op pays for the new meter socket, and larger disconnect box, most all electricians go to 200 amp service, to accomodate future current demands. They always use larger wire, too, to meet future demand. Never skimp on electrical wire sizes. It is much tougher for rodents to gnaw on something 4" in diameter, that a regular underground electric line. Just one more defense against those critters.

I hope this clarifies the 4" tile I talked about. This tile is readily available at Menards. etc. It comes in rolls, like farmers regular field drain tile, except it has no holes. It is pretty tough stuff, yet flexible enough to follow the contour of the earthen trench.