+ Reply to Thread

Default Overgrown Evergreens

Hi,

We just bought a new house with a hedge around the pool (picture attached). Not sure what type of trees they are or if/how they can be trimmed.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Teo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pool_hedge.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	3045  

Default Re: Overgrown Evergreens

Can't really tell from the picture, though they look like a cypress or juniper. I'm not sure that you'll be able to manicure them without destroying the shape and fullness. By that I mean some trees/shrubs don't take kindly to trimming and never really fill back in. Junipers are extremely slow growing and may take years before you see improvement. Cypress are not so slow growing, but I don't know that it will fill back in once you've opened up the trunk.

It's a shame, you've really got a nice privacy screen there.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks. I don't really have a choice as they'll eventually make the pool filthy (once the branches grow over the water). How would I ago about trimming them? A friend said to chop the tops off and the side branches but everything looks dead once you move away the outer green...that seams normal, but should I leave any green? How do I avoid killing the tree? I'm fine with it taking years to grow back. We plan on being in this house for at least 10 years.

Teo

You NEVER want to top a tree of this type!!! It will destroy the shape of the tree and in the case of juniper and cypress, they'll split and grow two new top chutes. Again, I'd identify the trees before starting. It might be possible to trim back the face growing towards the pool and exposing the branches. Many trees will make new growth where the light is able to get to, so by trimming the thick outer layer of "foliage" back, light gets in and the bush becomes thicker and green again - in many cases, not all. Roger explained this trimming technique to a homeowner in an episode of AskTOH.

If you do go ahead and cut the tops, then I'd shape the entire stand into a more formal hedge shape with face and top square cut.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Hmmm...the trees actually appear to have two top chutes already. Maybe the original owner already did this once. I have an arborist comming out to give me some options. I appreciate the advice.

They look like arborvitae's to me.....Maybe the link below will help.

http://www.aboutarborvitae.com/arborvitae_care.shtml

http://www.savatree.com/arborvitae-tree.html
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content