+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Electical Outlet Breaker Problem

Here's the story...I just installed a new dishwasher at home in the kitchen. It worked out well because it was right by a wall with an electical outlet installed. I used the washer the first day and everything was dandy. Next day the breaker switch on the wall outlet kept shutting off. I kept resetting the electrical outlet and when I try to turn the machine back on, it would turn off again. What I know is this- If I plug a coffee pot in, it will work. I check to see if any other appliances are over loading the outlet line on that floor and even on the second floor. Nope! The Electical Outlet is not strong enough to handle the dishwasher. My only work around right now is to get an extension cord and connect it on another outlet in the next room. What can I do to rectify this problem? Any suggestions? I appreciate your time.
    Blessing

Default Re: Electical Outlet Breaker Problem

What is the electrical requirement for the DW and what is the circuit rated at?
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Aren't dishwashers included on the list of items that are not supposed to be powered from a GFI?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Seems to me the OP is tripping a GFCI receptacle and not a breaker. The dishwasher, if not built-in is not required to be fed with a GFCI.

Dunno, too many questions to ask and need more info from the OP but think the motor in the DW is tripping the GFCI receptacle and not the "breaker".

I appreciate your responses! Keep in mind that I am a layman in this area. Your alphabetical responses are stimulating but leave me on ground zero. I guess I should ask a question or two. I was thinking, should I try to put a stronger fuse in the breaker box for that electrical line? i.e. from a 15amp to a 30amp fuse? I have my refrig hooked up on the other side of the kitchen and yesterday I connected the dishwasher to that same line and it worked without a problem. I used one of the electrical plugs to reach the other side of the room and that would trip if there was on overload and it did not. Changing the subject a bit, I also notice that after I hooked up the DW to the same plumbing line as the sink line now less water comes out of the kitchen faucet. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by DANDAN View Post
    I appreciate your responses! Keep in mind that I am a layman in this area. Your alphabetical responses are stimulating but leave me on ground zero. I guess I should ask a question or two. I was thinking, should I try to put a stronger fuse in the breaker box for that electrical line? i.e. from a 15amp to a 30amp fuse? I have my refrig hooked up on the other side of the kitchen and yesterday I connected the dishwasher to that same line and it worked without a problem. I used one of the electrical plugs to reach the other side of the room and that would trip if there was on overload and it did not. Changing the subject a bit, I also notice that after I hooked up the DW to the same plumbing line as the sink line now less water comes out of the kitchen faucet. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    Thanks again!
    You are thinking about doubling the size of the fuse in the breaker box.
    Well don't, think about calling an electrician instead.
    You are in a situation well over your head.

AS Ernie says. NO. The breaker is sized for the wiring in the walls to prevent overheating and possible a fire. Changing to a 30 amp fuse or breaker could cause problems that will make the DW (Dish Washer) problems insignificant. The best bet is to have a new higher amperage circuit run for the DW. My guess is you need at least a 20 amp circuit for the DW, you should check the owners manual to be sure, and the outlet that you are using is on a 15 amp circuit.

The GFCI mentioned above is a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter. They can be individual outlets like this or special breakers like this. Modern code requires them in areas like kitchens or other places where outlets are close to a water source (sink) However some devices like capacitive start motors can cause them to trip, I won't go into the theory or cause behind the trip.

Hope that helps explain a little better.
    Jack

I appreciate your quick response to this mater. You even broke this down for me with pictures and Alpa explainations! ***! You guys are great! Thanks Daniel for your last email, it was very informative. I'm not that much of a layman on this mater because I did install the Dishwasher including connecting the DW electrical and the plumbing myself. My last question concerning the water problem. After connecting the plumbing to the kitchen water line, now I have noticed that the water pressure is weak at the sink. What can I do about this or is this the wrong place to ask this question? Let me know. Thanks again!!

Quote Originally Posted by DANDAN View Post
    My last question concerning the water problem. After connecting the plumbing to the kitchen water line, now I have noticed that the water pressure is weak at the sink. What can I do about this or is this the wrong place to ask this question? Let me know. Thanks again!!
    I would bet that debris was broken loose or excess solder is inside the pipe is restricting the angle stop to the sink. Start by turning off the sink angle stop, disconnect it from the sink and put the free end into a bucket. Now turn the angle stop on to blow out any debris. Reconnect to sink and see if that did the trick.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

You may also try removing the faucet aerator run some water and clean and reinstall the aerator.
    Jack