+ Reply to Thread

Default Rotten Subfloor Section in Bathroom

The previous owner of our home allowed water to work it's way into plywood subfloor in bathroom, underneath vinyl flooring. A section about 2 feet by 8 inches of the subfloor is rotten about a quarter of the way through the subfloor.

Do I need to remove the entire subfloor or can I just cut out the rotten section? How do I go about removing the rotten section? Is there a product that can patch wooden subfloors? I plan on eventually installing ceramic tile in this space, including cement board.

Thanks for any suggestions or help you can provide!

Default Re: Rotten Subfloor Section in Bathroom

The bad section should be cut out. You would want to cut to the center of a floor joists to provide support for the new piece.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Re: Rotten Subfloor Section in Bathroom

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    The bad section should be cut out. You would want to cut to the center of a floor joists to provide support for the new piece.
    Jack
    As well as install support blocking under "free" edges.

Use a nail to find the center line of the floor joists. Mark your cuts. Cut out damage. Install blocking between the joists to support the free edges of the existing floor and the patch. Cut and install the patch. Install underlayment. Float seams and fasteners with floor leveling compound. Install vinyl.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!