+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default use of rope lighting

I am completely gutting and remodeling a small 8x12 bathroom in a 108 year old house. Using tile on walls and floor and wallboard for ceiling. (9 ft tall) Tropical/Ocean theme. Have read lots of articles about small bath design. Was thinking about installing a row of expensive tropical colored moasic tile at top of wall around the room to draw eyes up and to back for a larger room feel. Was wondering if anyone has ever seen or heard of the use of rope lighting in a channel, either flush mounted or recessed into ceiling along edges to highlight and illuminate the expensive tile and upper walls. Will have other lighting as well but though this might be a less cluttered way of lighting and also be acceptable above shower area as moisture wouldn't bother the rope. Looking forward to anyones opinions.

Default Re: use of rope lighting

Sounds like it will be lovely when complete....anyway I had a neighbor who used rope lighting in a "trough" a few inches from the ceiling. It ran around the entire room, a TV room, the 'trough" was made of wood and the light was just projected up. It made a nice soft glow in the room... good luck

Rope lighting works great behind crown moldings when held down from the ceiling There called Mood Lights in the magazines....
    Hmmmm
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

I use rope lighting when I need to find a ceiling location in an insulated attic. Push the rope light through the hole in the ceiling and up into the attic. Much easier to find a lighted rope than a fish tape or wire in a dark attic.

Cheers,

Bass

http://basswoodcarpentry.com/

I love your idea, I think it will look great. I have seen this idea of using rope lights to highlight tile all over the web. People really like the results. Good luck, post some pics when you are done!

Exclamation Re: use of rope lighting

Rope light only bends to a limited radius, so it would be incapable of turning a sharp corner. There's probably a hard-wired type out there but the off the shelf variety has a lead cord that's plugged in to a switched receptacle. I have rope light as in-cabinet lighting. It has been a disaster; I am on the 4th rope in 3 years.
    Sombreuil_Mongrel

Why not? Vice Versa - rope lightning is good for large spaces, not for small ones.

Using rope lights is really a unique and attractive suggestion for bathroom..Rope lighting is particularly attractive to the bathroom. flexible string lights, rope lights can run on walls, use the frame or wall mirrors. Rope lighting can also be done around the wall and corners of the room.

Will have other lighting as well but though this might be a less cluttered way of lighting and also be acceptable above shower area as moisture wouldn't bother the rope. Looking forward to anyones opinions.

Rope lights consist of several small bulbs that are protected inside a clear, flexible tube. They provide a versatile source of lighting, suitable for many purposes around the house.