+ Reply to Thread

Default 1930s flooring removal HELP

i have been remodeling my family farm house of over 150 years. its a very slow deal, room by room..any way, im now in the dining room were my family, some 50 yrs ago put a floor covering over very nice maple flooring. the floor covering has what appears to be a tar paper backing. it does not want to come up very well at all. were ever there was heavy trafic,it has compressed tight against the maple.i have tried heating it up and scraping. very tuff!any ideas out there???? i can post pictures if someone wants to see what im talking about...let me know..thanks troy

Default Re: 1930s flooring removal HELP

I don't have much advice but I feel your pain. I had the same stuff in my dining room and hallway. We ended up ripping it out and replacing the hardwood. Sorry I'm not any help.

Default Re: 1930s flooring removal HELP

I have a similar situation where heart pine flooring in the kitchen has asbestos tile/tar adhesive. I sent a sample of the tile to a lab to determine the kind of asbestos and then removed a small section. One time, I sprayed the tar with water and scrubbed; on another occasion, I put DIF, a wallpaper remver, and then scrubbed. Both methods worked equally well but it takes time, lots of elbow grease and determination.

Thumbs up Re: 1930s flooring removal HELP

Our home was built in 1923, and we had very modern 12"x12" white tiles on the bathroom floor. When I looked from the basement, I was able to tell they were "beefed up". When we remodeled the bathroom, on of the first things I did was to get a bid for replacing the floor with the old six-sided tiles; small tiles! Especially since this bathroom is only 6 by 5 feet, including the tub! The contractor had said he could get to the the concrete floor for me and it would run well over $700.00! With that I got an old wood chisel out and got oun my hands and knees. I spent about a week removing the large tiles and what seemed to be roofing paper and roofing cement on the original foor; which is what I always wanted; six sided tiles in a mix of white and blue. Goof Off and Dawn are great products to use to remove the tar backing. Hard work has paid off!
    STLOUIEY
    "The best house is an old house." "You can't fix stupid!"