+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Electical Outlet Breaker Problem

Here's the story...I just installed a new dishwasher at home in the kitchen. It worked out well because it was right by a wall with an electical outlet installed. I used the washer the first day and everything was dandy. Next day the breaker switch on the wall outlet kept shutting off. I kept resetting the electrical outlet and when I try to turn the machine back on, it would turn off again. What I know is this- If I plug a coffee pot in, it will work. I check to see if any other appliances are over loading the outlet line on that floor and even on the second floor. Nope! The Electical Outlet is not strong enough to handle the dishwasher. My only work around right now is to get an extension cord and connect it on another outlet in the next room. What can I do to rectify this problem? Any suggestions? I appreciate your time.
    Blessing

Default Re: Electical Outlet Breaker Problem

What is the electrical requirement for the DW and what is the circuit rated at?
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Aren't dishwashers included on the list of items that are not supposed to be powered from a GFI?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Seems to me the OP is tripping a GFCI receptacle and not a breaker. The dishwasher, if not built-in is not required to be fed with a GFCI.

Dunno, too many questions to ask and need more info from the OP but think the motor in the DW is tripping the GFCI receptacle and not the "breaker".

I appreciate your responses! Keep in mind that I am a layman in this area. Your alphabetical responses are stimulating but leave me on ground zero. I guess I should ask a question or two. I was thinking, should I try to put a stronger fuse in the breaker box for that electrical line? i.e. from a 15amp to a 30amp fuse? I have my refrig hooked up on the other side of the kitchen and yesterday I connected the dishwasher to that same line and it worked without a problem. I used one of the electrical plugs to reach the other side of the room and that would trip if there was on overload and it did not. Changing the subject a bit, I also notice that after I hooked up the DW to the same plumbing line as the sink line now less water comes out of the kitchen faucet. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by DANDAN View Post
    I appreciate your responses! Keep in mind that I am a layman in this area. Your alphabetical responses are stimulating but leave me on ground zero. I guess I should ask a question or two. I was thinking, should I try to put a stronger fuse in the breaker box for that electrical line? i.e. from a 15amp to a 30amp fuse? I have my refrig hooked up on the other side of the kitchen and yesterday I connected the dishwasher to that same line and it worked without a problem. I used one of the electrical plugs to reach the other side of the room and that would trip if there was on overload and it did not. Changing the subject a bit, I also notice that after I hooked up the DW to the same plumbing line as the sink line now less water comes out of the kitchen faucet. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    Thanks again!
    You are thinking about doubling the size of the fuse in the breaker box.
    Well don't, think about calling an electrician instead.
    You are in a situation well over your head.