+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Closets in an American 4 Sq. House.

I am buying a 100 year old American 4 Square home that was built by my Great Great Grandfather, i am leaving a 7 year old 3000 sq. ft. home with plenty of storage. here is the problem, with the old house, there is very limited storage and closet space, the home has 5 bedrooms and 3200 sq. ft. but not much for closets, any idea on how to add closets without taking away from the old house design.

Default Re: Closets in an American 4 Sq. House.

Furnish with lingerie cabinets and wardrobes.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

It may be a bit off topic so forgive me, but people used to do well with much less and it is a lifestyle I can move on with.

Here is a book that I HAVE NOTHING to do with. But, have appreciated.

http://zenhabits.net/2009/09/my-new-...nimalist-life/

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Furnish with lingerie cabinets and wardrobes.
    Jack
    That was surely pretty big house. I never had such big house so storage has been the problem.

Furniture stores sell floor to ceiling closets. If you live close to an Ikea, you can see them in their showroom.

Very old thread,but...
    Four squares usually have very big attics and basements-use it for your storage of clutter. Back when these houses were built wardrobes as well as dressers were used in bedrooms. They didn't need as much closet space. But I digress.

Consider these wonderful suggestions. Maybe great time to donate some of the clothes that everyone seems to have that they do not wear because of growth, style... then less of a problem. what a ****en oportunity to live in a home built by a loved one. In a large old home i am renovating it too has small closets and i think back then the few cherished clothes, Butam converting one bedroom upstairs into a bath and closet.
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.

One reason older homes did not have closets was that in many areas of the country, the number of closets was figured into your real estate tax bill!

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    One reason older homes did not have closets was that in many areas of the country, the number of closets was figured into your real estate tax bill!
    Had never heard of that.

I do know they had far less clothes in those days. My great grand mother only had 3 dresses. Two for everyday and one for Sunday.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Can always build a nice cedar closet in the attic and basement
    _Newton Carpenters