+ Reply to Thread

Default Exterior Walls without sheathing

Hi, I am going to replace a couple windows on my house. the interior has been stripped to the studs. Here is my problem. The siding on my house sits directly on top of the studs. Since I don't want to redo the entire wall, I don't think it would work for me to apply plywood to the studs before retacking the siding.

How should I hang the window? All the only DIY instructions assume some interior sheathing or plywood beneath the siding. I wonder if there is anything I should do to weather seal the siding before I put it back up against the bare studs. As it stands now, my plan is to frame out the window from the inside. Remove the siding from the outside, insert the window, attach the window directly to the header and studs, replace the siding on top of the window flanges.

Any thoughts?

Default Re: Exterior Walls without sheathing

What kind of siding and how old is the house? If you have t-111 i can understand what was done, but never came across no sheathing before.
    Check how your other windows were done. I would suggest proper flashing & without sheathing, caulking is going to be important.

Well, keep in mind this house is 200 years old. there was no insulation in the walls. with the interior of the walls removed, you can look down and see daylight between the siding boards. So, the house is relatively exposed. Oddly enough, there is no water damage anywhere.

The rest of the house was basically done with trim boards over the studs and header and the siding is caulked where they meet the trim boards. On the top of the window, there is a lip that someone has covered with tin (i suspect this was done after initial construction).

You're out of my realm of expertise. Hopefully someone with more knowledge about old house construction will show up.

for energy efficiency, i'm in process of doing the same to one side of my house and i too was wondering that. house is a balloon frame built in 1900 with clapboard nailed to the studs and in my case thin styrofoam and aluminum siding on top of that. Still in several parts of my house where there is tongue & groove for interior walls we can actually feel the cold air blowing in. Hopefully using batt insulation & drywall will take care of this.