+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cold room

Default Re: cold room

Quote Originally Posted by drobles44 View Post
    Thank you for your reply.
    - I'm not sure what an air handler is or if we even have one?

- We change the filter on the furnace every 3 months.

- The ducts that run to her room are inside the ceiling in the basement. I wouldn't be able to get to them unless I took out the ceiling. The air coming out of the vents in her room seems to be less then the air that comes out of the vents around the house. When I took of the cover to check for a blockage the air seemed to come out better. I couldn't put my hand in the duct. What could I use to check for a blockage?
    An air handler is used in an A/C system with the Condenser that's located outside, in your case your Furnace is doing the Air Handling or moving the air via the blower motor which is located inside your furnace. All I can say is to find the damper that's located it the takeoff that comes off of the main trunk. The reason that I say this is because all of your other supplies are working fine. The supply to her room may also have become separated from the takeoff or the boot (as it's called) which the register goes into. I can't believe they boxed everything in so you can't even do any Air Balancing within the System.

Try this, since you can't get at the dampers that are in the takeoffs you can close the registers in the other rooms off a little bit, they also have dampers in them. Its same thing as closing the take off dampers but they can be moved just by hitting the lever with your foot. This should force more air to your Daughters room. Good Luck !!!

Post Back to let us know how you made out
    Last edited by Sten; 01-08-2010 at 03:03 PM. Reason: more info

Air takes the path of least resistance. Balancing may help. The ductwork is probably too small. You need someone that knows what he's doing. I would recommend zoning (two thermostats).
    One up and one down. Works beautifully.

It's only one room that"s cold, IMHO I don't think zoning will help.