+ Reply to Thread

Default Cement Shower Floor

Hi - I have an old shower room in my basement. The shower floor is made of cement and is curved. I am redoing the entire area. I believe it would not be feasible to get rid of the cement but instead just lay something on top of it. My question is what material can I use to do this? I'm not sure I can use material like tiles because of the curving of the shower floor.

For the walls, I am thinking of putting up some sort of drywall/blueboard over the crumbling plaster (instead of trying to fix the plaster) and covering that with 9 inch stone/ceramic tiling (or something to that effect). So, I'd want to use a material that would go with stone/ceramic tiling.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cellar Shower.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	1036  

Default Re: Cement Shower Floor

Please don't be offended, but that looks pretty rough. I think you are far better off tearing everything out and starting fresh. You can than create a solid, smooth surface for floor tiles and a solid backing for wall tiles or a surround unit. I don't think you would get good results trying to adhere drywall and tile to crumbling plaster. Not the answer you were looking for, but the best option, IMO.

Yes, it is nasty. . . So, for the shower floor, you suggest smashing the cement up and laying down new cement to serve as a base for the tiles. I suppose I can do that but was hoping I could just smooth it out somehow instead of redoing the whole floor. As for the walls, the drywall would simply be nailed to the studs, so the drywall wouldn't be adhering to the old plaster at all. We'll see . . . Thanks for your input.

Yes, you would tear out the old cement floor and pour a new, smoother floor. I saw a thread out here somewhere that provided a link to directions for laying a cement floor in a basement bathroom. I do not know how to attach the link, nor do I remember exactly which thread but perhaps you could search the forum for that thread. If I find it again I will let you know.
    I understand that the drywall would be nailed/screwed to studs but then you would be assuming everything is solid behind the plaster. That looks pretty old and there very well could be water damge behind the plaster that has undermined the structural integrity of the walls.
    Tearing everything out still seems like the best idea, IMHO.

I am going to try and paste a link to the thread I mentioned earlier.
    http://advice.thisoldhouse.com/showthread.php?t=208

The ontariotile link is great. Thanks!

Here's a link to a manufacturer of components used that are fantastic and much simpler that using the old school method.

http://www.schluter.com/143.aspx

This is very good. Looks like I install over the drywall to inhibit mold growth. Very nice.