+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation Attic ventilation in 100 yr. old house

I need advice. I have 100 yr. old house with poor attic ventilation; only 2 small gable vents and no low to high venting. I've been sealing up the house so I don't have to pay $5-6K/yr for heating. The attic was insulated long time ago and they put the insulation all down each bay; so no ventilation for roof. I started putting in baffles, but can only push them about half way down as the bays extend about 6-8', because second floor has slanted ceiling. What can I do to get these baffles all the way down as I'm worried when I cut the holes for the soffit vents I won't be able to reach in far enough to grab them and pull them all the way down. HELP!

Default Re: Attic ventilation in 100 yr. old house

have you thought about open cell foam?
    HOPE THIS IS HELPFUL!

Oklahoma City, OK

If you insulate the rafters with open cell foam you don't need any vents.
    HOPE THIS IS HELPFUL!

Oklahoma City, OK

CJSand is right. The insulation you have now isn't working. Insulate with spray foam. From the size of your heating bills, you should probably use closed cell foam. Closed cell is a vapor retarder, while open cell foam is not. In cold climates, you should have a vapor retarder. The foam will pay for itself in short order.

Question Re: Attic ventilation in 100 yr. old house

WHO TO ASK FOR BEST SOLUTION!!
    135 year old heritage home with single peak running front to back. Need to take 2nd floor heat out in summer. No central air,(hot water heat), just window units. Watched the TOH videos about attic and whole house fan installation. No gables+/or windows to open. New roof with 35 yr shingles. It's 10+ degrees hotter on second floor. Summer is coming and I'm dreading the heat.
    Last edited by kathie gosen; 04-05-2011 at 08:52 PM. Reason: No responses. Looking for expert opinions.