+ Reply to Thread

Default water dripping from register in the ceiling

We have a 5 year old burm style home with the furnace unit and duct work in the attic. During the winter, water will drip at times from the registers. Now our ceiling is stained and unless we run the circulation fan it will do this. Does anyone have any ideas on how to keep this from happening? We heat with a woodstove and are right now running the dehumidifier to keep the static out of the clothes. HAHA! Thanks for any and all help.

Default Re: water dripping from register in the ceiling

What type of furnace do you have (80 or 90+) and are all your registers dripping? If not is it the registers that are closest to the furnace that are dripping? If your in a cold Climate and it's a 90+ or condensing furnace and your using a condensate pump maybe you should check that, also look around and look for anything out of the ordinary. Is this the first time this has happened? Good Luck!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sten View Post
    What type of furnace do you have (80 or 90+) and are all your registers dripping? If not is it the registers that are closest to the furnace that are dripping? If your in a cold Climate and it's a 90+ or condensing furnace and your using a condensate pump maybe you should check that, also look around and look for anything out of the ordinary. Is this the first time this has happened? Good Luck!!!
    Not sure of the furnace type without asking the boyfriend who isn't here right now. The two that really drip are the ones in the bathroom. The one in the back bedroom has left a stain on the ceiling and I've never noticed it in the kitchen or other bedroom or in the living room. Our house is a burm home and it's the registers that are on the back, long dirt side of the home I guess. Never thought about it until you mentioned that. I will look closer this evening. It does it every year. Now it's staining the ceiling mud and some is even chipping off.
    Thanks for any and all help.

With to little info all I can tell you is to have your boyfriend or you go up into the attic and see whats going on. Good Luck!!!

Smile Re: water dripping from register in the ceiling

I would suggest you wrap the exposed ductwork with good insulation, so you do not have that warm air hitting the cold duct work forming condensation. Insulation is a pretty cheap fix.

Good Luck.

From her first post I would think this is happening during the winter with her furnace not A/C. So there would be no warm air in her attic to cause condensation, but it still would be a good idea to have your Main Trunk and all your supply runs insulated if they aren't already. Like I said you should send your boyfriend into the attic to see whats going on, can't see from here, sorry. Good Luck!!!