+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Aligning a Chair Rail?

I want to install a chair rail in our new house. Problem is, the floor and ceiling aren't perfectly level. I started to draw my guideline by measuring down from the ceiling at several points around the room. After doing this I used my level and found the line to be 'not level'. I re-did the line by marking the height at one end and then using the level to draw a straight line. I guess my question is, should I follow the line made by using a level, follow the line made by measuring down, or draw a new line somewhere in the middle?

I'm obviously new to this and would appreciate any advice or opinions. Thanks!

Default Re: Aligning a Chair Rail?

You install the chair rail level.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

A short but sweet answer. Perfect.

Thanks!

Chair rail is installed level. I would measure from the floor at each end of the wall, stretch a string and put your level to the string. The floor may not be as far out of whack as you think. A 1/4" to 1/2" over ten feet won't be noticeable, however if you want to be a little more accurate than that, adjust the string until you get it level, then set your chair rail to the string.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Personally I use water level.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content