+ Reply to Thread

Default Ugly retaining wall

About 3 years ago,a house was built to our north where the property was being developed with new housing. The owner chose to build up their yard about 3 feet because of drainage. They brought in OLD concrete freeway barriers and positioned them the entire 110 feet of the property line, then proceeded to bring in loads of dirt to bring up the yard level. They did landscape their side of the wall but did nothing on our side. We have been left to look at this ugly wall for 3 years now. We are stumped as to what to do with it as we live in the NW and winters are cold, bushes that wouldn't drop their leaves grow slow and facing it would be very expensive. We feel it has depreciated our property value and we aren't the only ones that don't like looking at it. Because of the vastness of it we really need help. Any ideas?

Default Re: Ugly retaining wall

First have you even talked to the owners?
    Second have you checked with the building department?

Can't say much more. Being a country dweller, I believe what goes on my property is my business and what goes on you property is your business and so don't concern myself with such petty issues.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Has the retaining wall been there for three years or is this a new development? If new, you may be able to get help from the county code enforcement. If drainage was the issue, this project could cause drainage problems for you, if it does, you do have legal recourse.

If its been there for three years, you may still be able to act, but you really shouldn't have waited so long. You could add dirt to your side of the barrier, form a slope and plant it with a ground cover.

You might try a faux rock painting.

Some creative landscaping might help hide the wall. Given that it probably isn't on any kind of footing, you may not be able to do a stone veneer on it, but you may be able to do some creative finishing, like a stucco or stamped or stained concrete. Also, some type of trellising or flowering vines could be a way to cover the wall with beautiful color.

I do not know what your laws are in your town. In Colorado if it is on my property line I can paint it cut it or to make it to my liking. Ok check your laws. Try a trellis get once that is already made frame it with narrow stipping and plant roses or evergreen vines yes there are evergreen vines. There are many evergreen bushes you could plant, I have neigbors that never take care of their yard and planted evergreen bushes along the fence and I do not have to look at their mess. I once tiled a concrete wall with red unglazed tiles and my pitted concrete front step. Still looks great after 20 years. So there is man solutions to your problem. Just think about what you want to do and don't be afraid to ask for help from other neigbors who also hate the ugly wall. Also talk with your neighbor with the wall maybe they will help. Have a get together and invite all who hate the wall and the neighbor and then discuss with them a solution to the problem. They need to know and if you all work together great friendships will grow and thrive. Or they may be like my neighbors who said it was my problem and so I have a lot of bushes now.
    Star