+ Reply to Thread

Default Grounded outlet with ungrounded cables

I just bought a house which was built in 1952 that has since been updated with grounded outlets. However, the outlets contain ungrounded cables. Whats the best/easiest way to fix this?

Default Re: Grounded outlet with ungrounded cables

It depends on what you mean by "fix". You can run new bare copper bonded ground wires to the outlets, you can rewire with new cable that has a ground wire, or you can install GFCI outlets with a sticker that says ungrounded.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I want to ground the outlets, but want do this the most practical way. I am trying to avoid having to run wires from the main box to each outlet.

Quote Originally Posted by cregan529 View Post
    I want to ground the outlets, but want do this the most practical way. I am trying to avoid having to run wires from the main box to each outlet.
    You can run a piece of thhn directly to any part of the GEC as an equipment ground. Just dont rely on any plumbing as a part of the gec loop. Make sure your service is grounded of course with two electrodes and a water pipe bond with jumpers as needed.
    Help us name our new Hidden Content