+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: 90 year-old toilet with no tank-to-bowl bolts

Jack, you've saved my week. The putty did the trick and my toilet is once again functional. Plus, this was a good learning experience for me.

I appreciate the help!!

You are quite welcome. Now you won't have to hold it any longer.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I am in a somewhat similar situation, but in my case the Offset Flush Elbow Pipe is leaking due to a crack/hole in it directly (running from the wall tank to the separate toilet bowl).

It is quite similar to the pipe in the picture, but is a 4 inch offset (horizontal) with a 2 inch Outside Diameter tube, and about 6 inches in length. I'd estimate the pipe in your picture to be about a 1.5 inch offset; mine is much larger with a more pronounced S shape.

The issue is trying to find a replacement pipe. The link to www.deabath.com is a GOOD one -- they have these Offset Flush Elbows, but only up to a 3 inch offset, and they are quite expensive ($98 to $225 a piece!). If they had the 4 inch offset, I might spring for the $98 price (raw brass), but they do not.

I do not want to move the toilet base a full inch; and rehanging the wall tank out by one inch also will not be attractive to accomodate a 3 inch offset pipe.

Any other leads either on the Internet or plumbing supply stores that any of you can recommend?

I have already called over 20 places in the New Jersey and New York City areas with no luck. These parts have not been manufactured for about 10+ years! Suggestions or leads?

Rick Bowers

Are you sure of your offset measurement?
    Jack
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	offset.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	5.2 KB 
ID:	3098  

Yes, I am sure. I remeasured it carefully even using a level to validate the vertical, and I measured consistently from the back wall to the front edge of the pipe (at top & bottom).

It is a true 4 inch offset. I have 3 other toilets just like this one, but the other three are all 1.5 inch offsets, and those are much easier to find. (Two of those three offset pipes had been reoplaced about 7 years ago.)

Unfortunately, it is the old 4 inch elbow pipe that has failed now, and I have not found a lead for a replacement.

To make it worse, if I abandon the old toilet and opt for a brand new toilet, the current waste pipe is 16.5 inches from the back wall (to the floor bolts).

That implies opening up the tiled floor and replumbing a new waste pipe, then retiling the floor, and shifting everything back towards the wall by about 2.5 inches to get to 14.0 for the new toilet (against the wall)! So I REALLY want to avoid that expense and time, and I'd much rather repair/replace this one pipe.

Thanks,

Rick Bowers

Rick,
    You may be able to use a spud reducers and go with a 1" or 1"double offset pipe or if the existing one is brass or copper you may be able to get it soldered or brazed.
    Jack

Thanks for the ideas.

I am in touch with my local plumber here in NJ (a good guy) and he suggested possibly using what he called "plumbing epoxy", which he says hardens very well and is waterproof, can be sanded, and possibly multiple layers applied to fill in the existing hole.

So this is simlar to your suggestion, but not requiring a metals shop. The old pipe is brass with now very worn chrome plating (mostly gone). My concern is the back side where it had worn away is now quite thin (80 years of flushes!).

This small hole is on the back side near the top where the pipe meets the flush valve near the entrance to the tank. It is probably just below where the nut with the gasket will sit once it is all put into place.

So if no replacement can be found (and I just called DEA in Murphy's, CA -- they have a 3" offset at most), we may have to go the "repair the pipe" route.

Rick