+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Clogged sink

Unhappy Clogged sink

Our house was built in 1957, a we upgrade all of the kitchen appliances 4 yrs ago. We started having a problem with the dishwasher throughly cleaning the dishes about 4mths ago. Sears has checked it 2 times and haven't found anything. They only told us to use a dishwasher cleaner periodically for build up. I ran dishwasher yesterday morning and later put pasta down the disposal (bad mistake); now the sink now clogged. We suctioned the water out with wet vac, tried the dishwasher/disposal method, but it didn't work. Drain runs free for a few seconds then the disposal fills up. The disposal is working, but water continues to bubble up. We've tried vinegar/baking soda down drain, and tried the dishwasher/disposal and plunger method again. Nothing!

My husband and son removed the J-pipe and note much came out. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated, but I think that it may be time to call a plumber.

We now think that the issue with the dishes not being clean has something to do with the pipes and not the dishwasher..

Thank you!
    Last edited by AngieB; 12-27-2009 at 12:14 PM.

Default Re: Clogged sink

It sounds like your drain is clogged. You can rent drain snakes at your local tool rental and try to unclog it your self. Where safety glasses and wear heavy leather gloves when ever you use a power snake. Put the snake machine as close to the drain as you can get it so there is as little as possible exposed snake cable.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks Jack!

My son and husband are using a hand one now. They tried under the kitchen sink and are now in the basement. A lot of gunk came out of the line in the basement. When they ran water in the kitchen sink, it drain faster, but soon stopped. They're now back in the basement snaking again.

Could it be that the clean-out plug needs to be snaked too or the machine is needed to provide more pressure? However, we're not having any problems with the bathrooms.

If the rest of your drains are OK then snaking the drain from the sink to where it joins the main should do the trick. If you are using a hand snake it may only punch a hole in the clog. It is best to use a power snake with a blade big enough the scrap the sides of the lines.
    Jack

As they're snaking again, a lot more gunk is coming out! So, it does appear that something more powerful is needed. Thanks again for your help to a frustrating situation!

Angie

I agree with Jack, rent a power snake or higher a plumber to come snake the line. The power snake is longer, larger, stronger, and more powerful than any hand snake and will be able to cut/punch it's way through the clog to clear it.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

If you are going to continue to use a garbage disposal you might want to consider http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=66506

Use it twice and the savings over calling a plumber will more than pay for itself. You might even catch it on sale for a lot less.
    Jack

***, this does look like it will do the trick and well worth $250.

They tried again without success, so I've called our neighbor who's a plumber. Unfortunately, he's out of town until Tuesday. Once it's fixed, I do hope that this will also resolve the issues with the dishes not being cleaned.

Thanks again for the help!