+ Reply to Thread

Default Repairing Laminate Cabinets

I've got 12-year-old cabinets in my kitchen, and though I'd love to replace the whole set with real wood, that's cost-prohibitive at the moment. Our problem is that the laminate is peeling up from some of the sides. I've tried to super-glue the surface down, but have only succeeded in gluing my fingers to a paper towel.

Does anybody know if this is a simple "handyman" type of repair, or whether we're looking at spending big bucks to have a cabinet company do the job? How much money does it take to re-laminate the entire cabinet front? The particle board underneath is undamaged...

Default Re: Repairing Laminate Cabinets

try some contact cement then when it dries heating the area and rolling it down and clamping it. clean off that superglue with some acetone nail polish remover before you start.

handyman fix: http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/tv/a...228407,00.html

for a new look you can remove the countertops, strip the old off or if well secured lamanate another layer over the carcasses using a wood veneer laminate or another plastic laminate. you might relaminate the doors and drawer fronts or replace those with wood doors and drawer fronts.

what you choose to do depends on what you have now (pics and more details) your budget and what look you want to go for.
    Last edited by Blue RidgeParkway; 11-25-2008 at 02:28 PM.

It's the laminate on the cabinets that's peeling, not laminate on a countertop. (The countertops are Corian and in excellent shape). Why would contact cement work any better than Crazy Glue?

Quote Originally Posted by ntrainer View Post
    It's the laminate on the cabinets that's peeling, not laminate on a countertop. (The countertops are Corian and in excellent shape). Why would contact cement work any better than Crazy Glue?
    We have a similar situation where heat from a toaster has warped a cabinet. Could we use a heat gun and adhiesive to address this? What, if any, other alternative do we have w/o having to replace the door? Thank you in advance.

-Trent