+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Disposal wiring too short

Hi all:

We recently completed some renovations on our kitchen due to a 3 floor flood back in June. The new sink and countertop were last to be finished, and when our garbage disposal was reinstalled, we found that the electric connection/cable to the disposal was an inch or two short for connection to the disposal (due to the slightly different layout of our new sink).

What would be the best way to reconnect this? Run all new cable to the breaker box, or is there a safe way to 'bridge the gap'? I often call on my FIL for electrical help (he's an electrician), but feel that this is something I can handle on my own.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks
    -Daryl, learning how to keep up with an 80 year old house in PA

Default Re: Disposal wiring too short

Disposals are not - should not be - hard wired. There should be a switched outlet under the sink. The disposal itself will have a short power cord that is then plugged into the switched outlet. If this cord is too short, then replace the cord on the disposal with a longer one Any appliance shop or hardware store will have replacement disposal cords.

As for changing the cord, all it takes is a screw driver. Remove the cover plate on the disposal, note the locations of the existing cord wires. Remove old cord and install new. Reinstall cover plate.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Most disposals I have ever seen have been hardwired, in fact of the few dozen I have layed my eyes on from 30 year old construction to 8 year old construction they were all hardwired (including the one installed in my house when it was built in '92).

As for your best option, if it is to keep the hardwired setup and maintain code, at least as far as wiring practices are concerned, you want to add a junction box. Basically install a junction box in the rear of the cabinet where the disposal is located and run the old wires in, and the new wires out to the disposal. The junction box must remain accessible (otherwise it violates code). As for if you can install the junction box in to the cabinet or it if must be installed in to the wall behind the cabinet (with the access plate in the cabinet) I honestly couldn't tell you what meets code or if both do. Never run in to such a situation in a cabinet.

Older homes typically were hardwired. In our area many new homes are still hardwired. Generally, a disposal does not come with an appliance cord so you have to buy one. Then you have to do something with the wire hanging out of the wall. Typically, we use a remodel box with a GFI outlet. For this type of work, I recommend a good electrician.

Interesting, must be an east coastal thing. Here on the west coast I don't think I've ever seen a hardwired disposal.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Interesting, must be an east coastal thing. Here on the west coast I don't think I've ever seen a hardwired disposal.
    Must be A. S.
    The commonwealth I reside in, hard wiring G Ds is the only wiring practice I have ever seen. Basically Romex poking out of the sink base running up to the unit....
    Last edited by Ernie_Fergler; 12-28-2009 at 03:46 PM. Reason: spellin

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie_Fergler View Post
    Must be A. S.
    Now that's just mean!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Now that's just mean!
    Does look bad. My apologies.
    You see read some of my texting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie_Fergler View Post
    Does look bad. My apologies.
    You see read some of my texting.
    Don't worry, no offense taken. Takes more than a love bite from a sparky to ruffle my feathers.

I'm curious what the NEC has to say on the subject of hard wire vs appliance cord.