+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Running a 220v machine off a generator

Quote Originally Posted by NEC View Post
    Okay, why?
    Why What?
    Why save it for another thread? Because I am trying not to hijack the thread. (any further)

The primary purpose of the grounding electrode system is to dissipate fault current to earth. Fault current created within the system, while it will conduct lightning for an instant it isnt installed or required for that purpose. But thats off topic.

For clarity we arent talking about a stand by system, emergency system or camping we are talking about a seperately derived system. Seperately derived systems require bonding to the grounding electrode system.
    Help us name our new Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Why What?
    The primary purpose of the grounding electrode system is to dissipate fault current to earth. Fault current created within the system, while it will conduct lightning for an instant it isnt installed or required for that purpose. But thats off topic.

I believe you are confusing bonding with grounding.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Lloyd ------ gotta lighten up there buddy.no angst here
    It would depend on what you would define as "continued intermittance ".

If the OP simply wants to use this generator to power his device as a one time use , then it's no big deal. It's not unusual for sparkys to fire up a genny to power up freezers, fridges or other critical appliances while rewiring a house ----- not to mention other job sites with other trades needing temp power.The difference being here he is installing it INSTEAD of installing the outlet

I would certainly agree with you , if the OP is thinking to use the genny as a somewhat permanent type of source of power in their garage , a proper supply from a panel would be the right thing to do.
    If it were construction then it would require gfi protection. This should be recognized as seperately derived.

Faults require an alternative to the neutral........ That is it.

Unless you want to describe a grounding system for lightning and such.

No, I know the difference between grounding and bonding. I think I'm getting hung up on code and not stressing the intent. With seperately dervied systems there are two different voltage potentials between parts bonded to the grounding systems;
    hypothetical
    plug in the joiner with its 3 prong outlet
    plug in a drill to the house with a 3 prong outlet
    one of those has a fault current in it and you have one hand on each .. what happens? Would it still happen if the two were bonded together? What if the fault current was fom a different circuit within the house not enough to trip the breaker but measureabley larger with respect to the grounded conductors of the seperate system?

I know these are what ifs but in a shop where its more likely to find this type of equipment and also more likely to find a small current on an egc from a motor or flourescent lamp its more important here then say a fridge.

and your right jack I have no business making assumptions on price, I know better then that.

but alas..
    I still think installing an outlet on the panel is a safer instalation and dont recomend the butchered cord.

No, I know the difference between grounding and bonding. I think I'm getting hung up on code and not stressing the intent. With seperately dervied systems there are two different voltage potentials between parts bonded to the grounding systems;
    hypothetical
    one of those has a fault current in it and you have one hand on each .. what happens? Would it still happen if the two were bonded together? What if the fault current was fom a different circuit within the house not enough to trip the breaker but measureabley larger with respect to the grounded conductors of the seperate system?

I know these are what ifs but in a shop where its more likely to find this type of equipment and also more likely to find a small current on an egc from a motor or flourescent lamp its more important here then say a fridge.

and your right jack I have no business making assumptions on price, I know better then that.

but alas..
    I still think installing an outlet on the panel is a safer instalation and dont recomend the butchered cord.
    He just wants to run it off the gen set......

I say run it.

hypothetical
    Actually nothing would happen if the jointer is not bonded to the same ground. Touch a hot wire to a metal spoon setting on the table, do you get a spark, no. Ground the spoon the the same bonding source then touch the wire and you do.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by NEC View Post
    He just wants to run it off the gen set......

I say run it.
    I say hes better served with an outlet from the panel and an extension cord.

but at this point were arguing opinion and I certainly respect all of yours

soo..

Hope you all had a Merry Christmas

Anyone get anything good?

I got an Eagles tire pressure gauge from my son (he thought it was a pen)

Think toaster and a fork.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Think toaster and a fork.
    Only a problem if you are grounded.
    Jack