+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Running a 220v machine off a generator

A portable generator needing an earth bond ?
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

IMHO, the original question has been lost. The OP was asking whether a genny could be used to periodically operate a joiner, not about setting up an emergency back-up power system. Would the same recommendations be made if the question was about powering up a refrigerator or lighting during a power outage?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

whats portable about it if its being used to power a piece of equipment fixed in place?

Its not really stand by either since there is no means to power it from the house panel.

By any means it still requires an electrode and bonding under 250.30 seperately dervied ac systems.

My point however wasnt to do it because it was "code" but to install an outlet from his house panel because it would be easier to make a safe instalation. The addition of a second power source without properly bonding to the GEC creates a more complicated situation for the average diy'r. I stick by that. Homemade extensions cords and generators are just a mixed mess of bad ideas IN MY OPINION. not to mention the fuel cost .. I mean how much will it cost to just add an outlet for it? A few hundred?

but other opinions may vary...
    Perhaps I am being too critical yet again.
    Help us name our new Hidden Content

id agree, if you gotta buy material for the cord and plugs, its not gonna cost you awhole lot more to do it right. hook it up to the main panel and then its done, dont have to worry about gas and listening to a generator!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    I disagree Jack. (no disrespect of course)

Its not temporary. Its no different then a standby system. Why wouldnt it require an electrode and bonding to the grounding electrode system? What excludes it from that requirement?
    It is temporary, and it is not tied into the household circuits. If you take a generator on a camping trip do you take a ground electrode? Is a ground electrode required for an RV with its own generator? A ground electrode provides nothing to a closed system. A standby system is wired into a grounded system and the bonding is required but you don't need a separate ground electrode for it. With a closed system the bonding is done by connecting the generator ground through the cable, no lightening protection is required.
    Jack

To the OP I would recomend you use SO cord for the cable for your extension adapter.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    IMHO, the original question has been lost. The OP was asking whether a genny could be used to periodically operate a joiner, not about setting up an emergency back-up power system. Would the same recommendations be made if the question was about powering up a refrigerator or lighting during a power outage?
    yes, temporary, emergency .. whatever its no excuse to cut corners like not grounding to save a little money.

Perhaps If I made my point a little better in my first post I wouldnt have had to defend it as much.

I dont think we are talking about temporary or standby but continued intermittance, and I'll restate it, IN MY OPINION hacking together an extension cord to use on a generator in your garage at your home is a bad idea, I beleive IN MY OPINION installing the right outlet is a safer instalation and I will stick by that.

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    It is temporary,excuse me I didnt see where he said it was temporary nor did I see anything to lead me to infer it and it is not tied into the household circuits. If you take a generator on a camping trip do you take a ground electrode?read the directions that come with your generator most over 5kw DO require a small electrode Is a ground electrode required for an RV with its own generator?yes, once again read the manual A ground electrode provides nothing to a closed system. A standby system is wired into a grounded system and the bonding is required but you don't need a separate ground electrode for it.your absolutely right I expressed the need to drive the electrode as a bridge to bonding With a closed system the bonding is done by connecting the generator ground through the cable, no lightening protection is required.grounding electrodes have absolutely nothing to do with lightning but lets save that for another thread
    Jack

To the OP I would recomend you use SO cord for the cable for your extension adapter. I would recomend saveing the generator for the camping trip and installing the appropriate outlet.
    That is intended to sound friendly

edited to add
    Perhaps install the appropriate outlet at the panel and get a long enough cord to reach from there to the joiner.
    Last edited by Lloyd; 12-28-2009 at 07:24 PM. Reason: to add

"With a closed system the bonding is done by connecting the generator ground through the cable, no lightening protection is required.grounding electrodes have absolutely nothing to do with lightning but lets save that for another thread"

Okay, why?

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    yes, temporary, emergency .. whatever its no excuse to cut corners like not grounding to save a little money.

Perhaps If I made my point a little better in my first post I wouldnt have had to defend it as much.

I dont think we are talking about temporary or standby but continued intermittance, and I'll restate it, IN MY OPINION hacking together an extension cord to use on a generator in your garage at your home is a bad idea, I beleive IN MY OPINION installing the right outlet is a safer instalation and I will stick by that.
    Lloyd ------ gotta lighten up there buddy.
    It would depend on what you would define as "continued intermittance ".

If the OP simply wants to use this generator to power his device as a one time use , then it's no big deal. It's not unusual for sparkys to fire up a genny to power up freezers, fridges or other critical appliances while rewiring a house ----- not to mention other job sites with other trades needing temp power.

I would certainly agree with you , if the OP is thinking to use the genny as a somewhat permanent type of source of power in their garage , a proper supply from a panel would be the right thing to do.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Lloyd,
    First, I would suggest you reread NEC 250, it is the requirements when an alternative source like a generator is connected to premises wiring not used as a closed system.

Second, how can you compare costs when the OP may be required to hire an electrician, pay an unknown amount for permits, purchase a new breaker, cabling of an unknown length and misc. parts to install a new outlet in his garage.

Third, The connection to the generator is with an extension cord so it is by definition temporary.

Fourth, installing a new outlet connected to the main panel is not what the OP asked.

I take no offense to your comments, we all learn through thoughtful discussions.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb