+ Reply to Thread

Default condensation on inside of windows

Looking for tips on why I'm getting condensation on the inside of upstairs windows. I turned the heat down to save energy only to find the bottom edge of the windows to have a lot of moisture. In some rooms I had the baseboard registers closed and got ice forming. This is with Pella double glazed windows. A friend's house with single pane windows and a similar heating setup has no condensation. I decided to open the registers and turn the heat up (was at 50 and now at 58) and this has largely solved it. But, I can see a noticable increase in oil consumption. Ideas?

Thanks

Default Re: condensation on inside of windows

It sounds like maybe the installation wasn't done right There should not be any condensation on the windows. There could be an air leak. You may want to call the installer back and have them take a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcy Tate View Post
    It sounds like maybe the installation wasn't done right There should not be any condensation on the windows. There could be an air leak. You may want to call the installer back and have them take a look.
    If you have a forced air system then running the blower when the heat isn't on can help.

Just because a window is double pane doesn't make it energy efficient. Low E glazing and gas filled windows are much more efficient than windows without. Condensation is formed when warm moist air settles on a cold surface. If your problem gets better with the heat turned up, it's due to the fact your getting the glass warmer on the window and it's not cold enough for the vapor to condense to water.