+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default addition without foundation or footing

I apologize if this isn't the best place for this question. I have a 100 year old house with a utility room addition of unknown age. It was built without any foundation (as was the porch, which has shifted as a result). I'd like to know how to best handle it--jack it up and poor footings or tear it down and build a new one. Although the porch hasn't fared well, as far as I can tell, this addition is still in pretty good shape. Almost forgot--the addition is entirely wood. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by juniper; 12-26-2009 at 07:53 PM. Reason: left out information

Default Re: addition without foundation or footing

I forgot to attach a picture. My apologies--I'm new here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	3037  

Unless you're a pretty experienced DIY'r, this isn't really a job for the weekend warrior type. If the structure is in reasonable shape, it might be able to be jacked into proper plane with the rest of the house, then excavate and pour footings/foundation. If the structure is a lost cause (excessive rot, extreme sag, etc ) then removal and rebuilding properly would be the way to go.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thumbs up Re: addition without foundation or footing

Thanks to you both for your helpful replies. This is my new favorite website. After reading A.Spruce's response, my next question was about what type of contractor would be best to contact, which you covered jkirk. Neither of you happen to live in southwestern Wyoming do you? Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by juniper View Post
    Thanks to you both for your helpful replies. This is my new favorite website. After reading A.Spruce's response, my next question was about what type of contractor would be best to contact, which you covered jkirk. Neither of you happen to live in southwestern Wyoming do you? Thanks again!
    You don't necessarily need a foundation spe******t, however whomever you do choose must be familiar with raising a structure and doing foundation work. For instance, I don't think that any of us regulars are foundation guys, but I'd trust most of these nail benders as having the abilities necessary. Not all contractors are created equal, so take the time to find someone who knows what they're doing AND that you can work with.

No, I'm not in Wyoming, but I'm willing to travel ... Just kidding.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Just a guess, but from your description it would appear that the utility room is a pole structure. Although it would be possible to to cut the poles and add a sill and foundation I doubt it would be much cheaper than demolishing and building new. It is also possible that the original porch is part of the structure.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb