+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Plumbing

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2009

    Default Plumbing

    How do we replace the shutoff for a water main in our basement?
    The pipes are metal and are probably 100 years old. When we turn the water all the way on it just pours onto the floor, when half off it just drips.
    PLEASE Help

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008

    Default Re: Plumbing


    The water supply WILL HAVE TO BE TURNED OFF AT THE SOURCE before you attempt to change the valve.

    If the water supply is on city service, there's a water main valve outside at the property line of your property; the city has to come down with a special metal rod to turn off the water, then come back when the rapair is done to re-open the valve.

    If you have well water, you'll have to turn off the power to the well pump before you make the repair.

    Use a large brass ball valve or brass gate valve, designed for water mains (plumbing supply house) as a replacement.

    You'll have an enormous flood at your house if you don't follow these guidelines.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: Plumbing

    I would also say that this is NOT a job for a do-it-yourself'r! Pipes that old and corroded are very fragile and anything you do can easily damage them. Better to let an experience plumber assess the problem as well as they will have the right tools and experience to complete the job as quickly as possible.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Fayette County, Ohio

    Default Re: Plumbing

    If you have a water meter in the basement that is located after the shut off, call your local water supplier it may be their property and responsibility.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts