+ Reply to Thread

Default Ceiling mounted range ventilation

In the September, 2009 issue of This Old House magazine, there is a picture on page 42 where the ventilation for the range is mounted in the ceiling as opposed to being more of a traditional drop down range hood (you can see the picture ****** here http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/phot...315429,00.html)

We are currently building/rebuilding our house and would love to do this, but are not quite sure what to look for to make sure it is powerful enough and may meet any code issues. The range will be on an island, with a 36" gas range. There is a window on the wall directly behind where the range will be. We are not very greasy chefs (I'm a vegetarian), so we are not as terribly concerned about the grease capturing aspects of a traditional ventilation system, only the air movement ones. We love the idea of the function without seeing it.

Does anybody have any recomendations for specific products that would fit this need or specific qualities that I should be looking for in a product?

Thanks so much!

Default Re: Ceiling mounted range ventilation

We are not very greasy chefs (I'm a vegetarian), so we are not as terribly concerned about the grease capturing aspects of a traditional ventilation system, only the air movement ones.
    No offense but regardless of your current cooking habits I'm sure a fan in this area needs to listed for use in a kitchen exhaust. Besides,what about the future greasy cooks that might use that kitchen.

Default Re: Ceiling mounted range ventilation

Thank you 100 times for posting a picture of this setup. I remembered seeing it in the magazine, cut it out, and lost it in the many renovations that have happened since then! I know it's been awhile, but can anyone recommend a fan that would help achieve this flush-mounted kitchen ceiling vent? The Broan L500K seems like it might do the job, but I can't find many reviews...has anyone else tried this?