+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Moisture

Default Moisture

I have moisture in my attic.I just had a new roof put on which is rafters built over my old roof.
    The chimney did not extend through new roof so contractor extend pvc pipe out of chimney to a 90 ,a straight piece another 90 and a straight piecs out of new roof.
    Most of the moisture is around chimney but there is moisture everywhere.
    It has a rdige vent and I put a vent in one of the gable ends.
    Don't know what to do

Smile Re: Moisture

Looks like no ventilation in your attic. If possible, add some more roof vents, and be sure there are holes beteen the old roof, and the new roof, so the air can escape. Two years ago, I remodeled an old house, discovering lots of moisture under the roof of an addition. Do not know when that addition was added, but, there was NO ventilation at all. I installed gable vents, plus roof vents to allow excess moisture to escape. Bingo, the problem was solved, plus the air conditioner runs a lot less in the summer, because the heat can escape from under the roof.

I have talked to many roofers, and they still tell me that the ridge vent is not enough to complete the ventilation system.

Good luck.

Default Re: Moisture

Thanks for your advise. I have cut holes in the old roof and still have the problem. Right now I am running a fan which has dryed it out.
    I also think I am going to hab=ve to take out the ceiling on the norh side of my house to see what is up with the insulation.
    That side of the house was the problem to begin with because it was a add on at sometime and had a flat or rolled roof on it.
    I could be losing heat there.
    Who knows it's an old house I and have know idea what other suprises I'm going to find.
    Thanks again

Default Re: Moisture

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesrfree View Post
    I have moisture in my attic.I just had a new roof put on which is rafters built over my old roof.
    The chimney did not extend through new roof so contractor extend pvc pipe out of chimney to a 90 ,a straight piece another 90 and a straight piecs out of new roof.
    This is something I find strange ........

PVC piping indicates to me you have a higher efficient type of combustion equipment.

Combined with the 90's----- a section of this piping that is horizontally flat ---- all inside the cold zone of the attic doesn't sound right to me.

Most of the moisture is around chimney but there is moisture everywhere.
    It has a rdige vent and I put a vent in one of the gable ends.
    Don't know what to do
    Where is the exit point of this flue in relation to the ridge and gable vents ?

Remember--- the exhaust from the flue contains a large amount of moisture as a byproduct of combustion. Depending on the proximity of the flue , the exhaust my be getting blown or sucked in by the ridge and/or gable vents.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush