+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation Heat register makes black dirt on walls

My heat registers in my house make a black film above them on my walls. It is hard to clean off and im wondering if anyone knows what i can do about it.

Any feedback is appreciated
    Alex

Default Re: Heat register makes black dirt on walls

One cause of this is a lack of a filter in the furnace return. Cure is to install a filter and have the ducts cleaned.

Another cause, and the most dangerous, is a cracked heat exchanger in the furnace and you have flue gas being pumped into the ductwork. Very dangerous situation, carbon monoxide danger. I hope you have a CO monitor. Have you system serviced by a qualified technician.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    One cause of this is a lack of a filter in the furnace return. Cure is to install a filter and have the ducts cleaned.

Another cause, and the most dangerous, is a cracked heat exchanger in the furnace and you have flue gas being pumped into the ductwork. Very dangerous situation, carbon monoxide danger. I hope you have a CO monitor. Have you system serviced by a qualified technician.
    Jack
    Thank you Jack for the tip,
    someone told me tonight that i have a water boiler system and he said that it would change the reason why it was doing what it is but he wasn't sure.
    Alex

If you have radiators the cold air at the floor with moisture and dust particles are heated by the radiator and rise. If the wall is uninsulated or under insulated the warm moist dirt air hits it and condenses leaving the dirt film. The easiest solution would be to buy or build a radiator cover with a closed back.

If you have base board heat like this turn the directional fin to direct the heat out and away from the wall. If you don't have a movable fin you may have to fabricate something to set on top to direct the heated air flow out away from the wall.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks again Jack,
    I do have the base board heat and I moved the fin inside away from the wall. I never would have thought of that, great idea thanks and happy holidays!
    Alex