+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hydrogen Gas in hot water line

For several months I thought there was air in my water lines.I decided to capture the [what I thought was air] from my bathroom faucet. I put a water baloon on the faucet and turned the hot water on. I then turned a small glass bottle upside down over the balloons opening, alowing the [air/gas] into the bottle. When I put a match to the bottle, a popping whistle noise was heard.I have to beleave my electric water heater is making hydrogen gas. Because it is only coming from the hot side of the faucet. The gas is acumulating over night because it happens evry morning. The water tank was replaced around the same time the problem started. I was getting small burps at the begining & slowly getting worse. The replacment tank is a 80 gal. electric Whirlpool Energy Smart modle #EE3Z80HD055V. Has anyone heard of this problem ??????????????????????????????????

Default Re: Hydrogen Gas in hot water line

This is possible the best news i've ever heard...you may have just solved the worlds energy crisis.
    Plumbing and Heating Tech.
    My plumbing website Hidden Content

I suspect the anode rod is the culprit ---- likely the anode rod in the new water heater is magnesium ---- changeing to an aluminum rod should help.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

I have a similar issue. However, My gas is methane I do believe. I am able to uncork it in the morning but it is not pleasant for anyone in the near vicinity .... Any ideas?

Do everyone a favour and leave the cork in.
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by NEC View Post
    I have a similar issue. However, My gas is methane I do believe. I am able to uncork it in the morning but it is not pleasant for anyone in the near vicinity .... Any ideas?
    You will need a methane mitigation system but I don't think you'll like the vent pipe installation.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by jlmcdaniel View Post
    you will need a methane mitigation system but i don't think you'll like the vent pipe installation.
    jack
    roflmbo
    - Rush

Oh sure. Go ahead and make jokes.... This is a serious issue here fellas..........

Too much methane gas is explosive!

I am worried about injuring life, limb and property.

One little spark and KABOOOM!

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    You will need a methane mitigation system but I don't think you'll like the vent pipe installation.
    Jack
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    I suspect the anode rod is the culprit ---- likely the anode rod in the new water heater is magnesium ---- changeing to an aluminum rod should help.
    The anode rod is aluminum. I think it's hydrogen, because it's only in the hot water.