+ Reply to Thread

Default I-Beam Support post in Garage

The floor above our garage dropped about 1/2 and inch, which made one heck of a noise and scared the heck out of my wife and I. I found that the I-Beam Support pole had completely rusted out at the base and dropped down on itself. It is still supporting the I-Beam, just not in a structurally sound way. I had fixed a leak into the garage that was caused by a broken gutter drain and a lack of cement between the blocks in the garage wall next to it. (This is how excessive water got to the pole to rust it out).

This leads to a number of questions:
    1. Where would I find a new support pole, and do they have a specific name?
    2. Should I cut out the garage floor where the old pole is and re-pour for the new pole or should I just re-use the same hole?
    3. Is this something I can claim on home owners insurance as we have only owned the house for 2 years?
    4. While I understand how to properly jack up the beam and replace the pole, is there any reason I should not try to do this job myself?

Default Re: I-Beam Support post in Garage

I recommend finding a local welding shop and having your existing pole fixed, or if the whole pole is bad have them make you a new one, you should put some temp supports under the beam, you can screw two 2x6 together to make a T, jack up the beam & install T's in a couple of places, leave space to put the pole back where it was, you shouldnt have to do anything to the floor as long as it isnt cracked or sinking.
    HOPE THIS IS HELPFUL!

Oklahoma City, OK

I also recommend cleaning out the old hole with a post hole digger and pour a footing all the way up level with the existing floor, have the new pole sit on top of the concrete after it dries so it will be less likely to get wet again.
    HOPE THIS IS HELPFUL!

Oklahoma City, OK

Thank you both very much for your responses! I hadn't even thought of fixing up the old post and welding a base plate to it. And not having to dig up concrete makes me much happier! This will be much easier to fix than I had anticipated!

Smile Re: I-Beam Support post in Garage

When you reinstall this new post, put the new footing higher than the garage floor, so it is always dry. There are brackets available to fasten to the new footing, and the new support post. That is one of the biggest failures in support posts, sitting them directly on the concrete floor. Digging a deep footing for the post will put all the weight on it, instead of 4-5 inches of concrete floor. Those new preformed circular forms are so neat for this type of job, and make things look nicer, too.

Have a terrific Christmas.

This leads to a number of questions:
    1. Where would I find a new support pole, and do they have a specific name?
    2. Should I cut out the garage floor where the old pole is and re-pour for the new pole or should I just re-use the same hole?
    3. Is this something I can claim on home owners insurance as we have only owned the house for 2 years?
    4. While I understand how to properly jack up the beam and replace the pole, is there any reason I should not try to do this job myself?[/QUOTE]

Howdy,
    1- yes 15,000 lbs basment support posts available at the box sores lowels home deope. Use the solid ones not the two pipes oens that bolt together. be sure to bolt top and bottom of post so it cannot be pushe out and all heck results.
    2- other posts address this i'd measure to the bottom of the hole then make a decision.
    3 -- THIS IS A BIGGY. DO NOT CONTACT YOU HOME OWNERS INSURANCE . THIS IS A MINOR REPAIR BELOW DEDUCTIBLE AND MORE OVER A CLAIM IS NOW A GREAT WAY TO GET CANCELLED BY YOUR INSURER. So remember only make a claim when the damage is excessive. Ture the loss could be construed as a collapse which is a covered loss subject to your deductible . But heed my bold type... I'm a retired claims adjustor.
    4 Yes if you support the beam on each side of the damaged post, a couple of feet away so you have working room, and jack it up slowly and evelyy it should not cause potential cracking if the garage and adjoining rooms if any above are drywalled. See #1 these jacks are about$45 each and three will make you a safe supporting fella.