+ Reply to Thread

Smile Slow drain in Bath/Shower not clogged?

I have a slow drain for the bath/shower, I do not think it's a clog, could it be something mechanical? or a vent clogg? I do have squarrels that do go to the roof? How can I figure out what is going on with calling a plummer? I have a picture of the shower & tub for reference to help figure out what the typical problem is perhaps someone else has had a similar problem?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010008small.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	5.8 KB 
ID:	1034  

Default Re: Slow drain in Bath/Shower not clogged?

One odd thing I have seen before is that the drain strainer body is screwed too far down into the drain pipe, causing a blockage. You might check to see if this is the case, and if so, replace with a shorter strainer assembly. Other than this, I would suspect the usual stuff...clog either in the drain or somewhere downline; incorrect slope of waste line; incorrect alignment of the drain stopper...etc.

I can't tell for sure but it looks like you have a pop up stopper. If that is the case. pull the stopper and linkage out, lay a rag over the hole and remove the two screws in the overflow cover/stopper control and lift that out. Is it quite common for the end of the stopper control linkage and pop up linkage to get clogged with hair.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

One other possibility is that the plunger is too low in the tub waste and overflow pipe. Check out the following video on TOH’s website. This homeowner had a different problem than you (water would not stay in the tub) but is shows the plunger and how it works and how to adjust it. It is a very easy fix.

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/vide...186457,00.html

One word of advice: put a rag or something over the drain before you unscrew the screws. They love to fall down the drain.

Let me know if this works.

Sherry

Let me weigh in here if i may. First, remove your stopper. It either has a set screw in the stem or it screws into the drain. Some have a cover that can be removed with a pair of pliers then a screw driver removes the stopper. You can sometimes get a clog cleared at this point. If not remove the long screew in the overflow cover and don't drop it down the drain (a rag over hole works well) then you need to snake out the drain through the overflow. You can get a 10-15 foot snake for around $10.00 or less. (a fraction of what a plumber will charge you to use his) Run the snake down through the overflow use the handle to turn the snake as you go. There are turns in the pipe and you will need to turn the snak a lot of time to get it to go through teh pipes but it will go. Keep pushing and pulling it out and clean it off repeatedly until you get nothing else out. The stuff you get out will be nasty. If you get nothing out then you may have a clogged vent pipe. It can be snaked out in the same manner. While you're on the roof you should cover your vent pipes with screen wire attatched with a zip tie. This will keep your vents from getting clogged in the first place.