+ Reply to Thread

Default Stinky loads of laundry . . .

Looking for some help out there
    Every time we do a load of laundry our laundry room smells like we're doing the wash in well water or sewage. We have an upstairs laundry and the smell will actually seep into our living areas. Even the bleach and HE detergent can't take the smell away-it just gets worse!! Our clothes come out smelling fine, so what's up with our water?? No other faucet has smelly water.

Default Re: Stinky loads of laundry . . .

I wonder if part of it is the humidity in the room. I wonder if a dehumidifier would help this.Mold likes to grow in warm humid places, and I laundry room is a great place for this. or maybe the washer needs a deep cleaning to get out wet stuff or dust. These are just some immediate thoughts I had.
    Good luck
    Sarah
    Last edited by SMHruns4Christ; 08-10-2007 at 10:18 PM.

Have you checked the pipe air vent?? It might hav a break or maybe even covered with leaves or other debris on the roof

Is this a new problem or has it always been this way. It sounds to me like there is no trap in that line. Was this laundry added at a later date?

It's a front load, so I don't know if they has anything to do with it. This washer was installed two weeks after we closed on this new construction condo. Could it be the drain hose or maybe the washer drum itself?

If your water doesn't smell and your clothes don't smell after you wash them......then it's almost a dead certainity that the problem has nothing to do with the potable water or the machine itself.

I supect you're smelling sewer/septic type odors because that's exactly what you're smelling. Assuming the drain-pipe/stand-pipe that the washing machine empties into has a proper trap installed, then the generation of the odor probably occurs only when the machine discharges its water. When the water is discharged from the machine at a very rapid pace, it stirs up the water sitting in the trap. During this trap turbulence, you will temporarily lose the trap's water-seal....... which is what normally prevents the sewer gas from entering the home. When this happens, in comes the gas and its odor.

Fact is though, you shouldn't really get that much smell *if* there is a proper vent for this drain pipe. It kinda sounds like you have an abundance of sewer gas collected in that pipe just waiting for a chance to get in.

I'll suggest that for the time being that you install a stand-pipe compression fitting. This will install directly on the top of your stand-pipe and your machine's discharge hose will fit tightly inside of it. Your local hardware store or big-box should stock these. These come in different sizes, so make sure you get the right size; the one that fits both your stand-pipe and your discharge hose. If in doubt as to which one to buy, bring several and take back the ones you don't use.

This will probably alleviate some of the problem, but the real cure is find out why all that gas is sitting there waiting for a chance to enter. You might be lacking the proper vent stack for this drain pipe.

Is this house on septic or sewer? If this is a new house on a septic system, it's normal to have lots of very foul odor until a healthy bacterial colony can establish itself in the septic tank. This can frequently take months. During this period, try not to use any chlorine bleach at all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	standpipe fitting.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	14.5 KB 
ID:	68  
    Last edited by goldhiller; 08-19-2007 at 02:06 PM.

my buddy had a similar problem,and it turned out to be the trap.