+ Reply to Thread

Question wall mounted ironing board

My son is moving to a house who has an original enclosed wall mounted ironing board who need some repair, is there anyone that know how this board is to be installed, i would like to fix it for him, but i would need some ideas or sketch on how this contraption hold itself after it swivel off the hinges on the wall???

Default Re: wall mounted ironing board

What needs repair?

These units are usually a self contained cabinet, in that the board is mounted inside a cabinet that is then mounted into the wall. To remove the entire contraption, there should be nails or screws along the sides that hold it in place. Screws can be backed out, nails can be driven through
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Question Re: wall mounted ironing board

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    What needs repair?

These units are usually a self contained cabinet, in that the board is mounted inside a cabinet that is then mounted into the wall. To remove the entire contraption, there should be nails or screws along the sides that hold it in place. Screws can be backed out, nails can be driven through
    Thanks for your initial answer to my question,however it is not sufficient for me to understand how to fix it. the board itself is ok and is secure to the wall by a steel rod type hinge that is inserted on each side of the wall opening, the problem relies on how to make the board hold itself up perpendicular to the wall once you swivel it for ironing, at the moment it doesn't hold and fall to the floor.

Most I've seen are held in the storage position by gravity. The pivot point is forward of the board weight, keeping it held into the back of the cabinet. Some units use a latch of some sort. If you're looking for a quick and easy means of holding the board in place, then an eye screw on either side near the top with a bungee cord across will do the trick. Place the eye screws 2" - 3" below the boards nose height, then all that you have to do is lift it up and let the board down. To put the board away just lift the bungee and push the board into place, releasing the bungee behind it.

Another option would be to find a local retailer that carries built in ironing boards and see how these units operate, then duplicate it on yours.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Many Thanks and Happy Holidays to A.Spruce

Your welcome.

Happy Holidays.

I've seen ones that have a single stick under them that hinges out and supports the ironing board when in use. Does anyone know why there would be another cupboard right next to the built in ironing board that is metal lined and has hangers that look like they are for clothing or sheets?