+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sink advice.

Default Sink advice.

Hi. I'm currently in the process of ripping out my old laminate counter tops to replace with granite. So I'm thinking of using an undermount sink. Probably stainless steel. The granite people actually make their own sinks, but they said they'd be glad to cut the stone to fit any sink I buy.

Their sinks are 150 for a single, 250 for a double. Is there any reason I should buy a brand name like Elkay or Moen?

What sinks do you like? Any thoughts around why you like what you do?

Default Re: Sink advice.

I sell several lines of sinks and the things that you look for is guage of sink (or thickness) most are 18 guage but as you know the smaller the number the thicker the metal. the nicer ones are 15 guage decks with 16 guage bowls and have a coating on the underside that kind of looks like the coating they spray on truck beds, comes in white or black and this helps dampen the noise of a metal bowl. you will notice a large difference between the guages when they are installed. now as far as name brands the biggest difference between name brands of comparable guage size and depth is price.

also out of curiosity what type of granite are you having installed?

Sounds like your installer is either selling you the bowls near cost or they're cheap. Hav. granite is right check the gauge. The might also be buying drop ins and cutting the deck off with a plasma cutter. Compare the deck surface by measurement and the bowl depth. Make sure theat your drain connection is low enough to catch the waste properly. Don't get beat by letting some two bit flunky pull the p-trap flip on you you'll end up with a smelly sink and a rotted out waste grinder. If you go with a two bowl make sure the larger and deeper bowl if there is one is opposite the dishwasher. This set up works better and you rythm will flow better when you wash. You know wash rinse DW or Sc**** rinse DW.

havanagranite: I was looking at black galaxy, or vogel blue. A friend of mine gave me a contact for a "contractors discount" It's a local yard, not a shop. 22,000 square feet warehouse of granite. I thought the prices were pretty cheap. Good point on checking out the thickness. I've seen some on-line that were either 18 or 16 gauge. I'll search for some, If you have a website, send it my way.

i.m.plummin: What's the p-trap flip? I've never heard about that? I know what the p-traps are.. I re-did the leaky ones in my house.. same layout as what the previous owner had. (still have some gurgle issues, but I've posted about that elsewhere and don't want to jack my own thread. hahaha)

Good advice on the location of the bigger bowl. I was thinking the same. large bowl, small bowl, then dishwasher on the far right. Which do you put the disposal on? the small?

JCphotog the p-trap flip is when the trap inlet is attached to the waste arm to cheat the highth of the waste outlet. The inlet is the flared tube of the trap. When its done it makes a deeper seal and in the case of the waste grinder the grind chamber has water in it all the time which always ends up badly for the home owner.

As far as set up I like the disposal on the deepest bowl and farthest from the dish washer always. Of course here we started getting alot of doubles on custom jobs and even one triple. Not wierdos or anything. They were Jews and wanted a really Kosher kitchen. It was actully really slick looking. DW sink DW sink DW . Got messed up though some concrete worker ran over the under slab plumbing with a skid steer which happens I supppose but I never recommend that .Any way We had to tunnel under the house and fix it.

Sounds like a wild set up. I'd love to have a kitchen that large. mine's 8x9

I'm still trying to visualize the flip, so it's basically putting the p trap on backwards? What brands for sinks do you suggest? I was taking a look at ikea sinks, and I was shocked that they were only 20 gauge...

most granite companies will have lines of sinks that they deal with. my favorites of the ones we handle are c-tech and tritan they make very nice sinks and c-tech comes with a real nice strainer basket (these strainer baskets from c-tech sell them selves once a person sees them) as well as sink grids at no additional cost. now these aren't cheap sinks but with the builders I deal with I give them to them at the same cost as the cheaper sinks, but I make up for it on the granite volume from them. http://www.dovae.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JCphotog View Post
    havanagranite: I was looking at black galaxy, or vogel blue. A friend of mine gave me a contact for a "contractors discount" It's a local yard, not a shop. 22,000 square feet warehouse of granite. I thought the prices were pretty cheap. Good point on checking out the thickness. I've seen some on-line that were either 18 or 16 gauge. I'll search for some, If you have a website, send it my way.

i.m.plummin: What's the p-trap flip? I've never heard about that? I know what the p-traps are.. I re-did the leaky ones in my house.. same layout as what the previous owner had. (still have some gurgle issues, but I've posted about that elsewhere and don't want to jack my own thread. hahaha)

Good advice on the location of the bigger bowl. I was thinking the same. large bowl, small bowl, then dishwasher on the far right. Which do you put the disposal on? the small?
    just my opinion go with the volga blue, you will find less people with that and will make yours more unique

Exactly Right The trap is backwards. It will function but its wrong.