+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Uneven heating in house

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gabrilson View Post
    Frustrating is the word! You should sell HVAC and just see what the competition is like. Most don't have a clue. Good luck. You'll need it.
    I agree with you. I know another person who is having the same problem and he has been talking to the local "experts." He cannot get any intelligent help. His problem still exists. Frustration

Make sure that you have enough return air (number one problem) so the furnace isn't bumping the limit.
    Zoning is the only way to solve the problem.
    You can balance only to a point because most homes have poorly designed systems.
    Hello Bob
    One of the companies I had at the house installed two smalled returns on the 1st floor. I don't think it made any differance. What do you (or anyone else) know about zoning? Cost, companies, difficulties...?

Thank god for the gas fireplace we had installed on the 1st floor to help!

Make sure that you have enough return air (number one problem) so the furnace isn't bumping the limit.
    Zoning is the only way to solve the problem.
    You can balance only to a point because most homes have poorly designed systems.
    Hi Bob:

I believe I have enough return air. Every room has a return except the bathrooms. I believe balance is the problem and I have to make a concerted effort to do this. I would like to know the best and most efficient way of doing this? I noticed some numbers written on the branches of the supply air, just where the main trunk branches off. These were most likely written by the installer and they look like air movement numbers. Do you know if there is a meter that I can purchase to measure the volume of air movement through each branch? Something that will not break the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by silvertoolman View Post
    Hi Bob:

I believe I have enough return air. Every room has a return except the bathrooms. I believe balance is the problem and I have to make a concerted effort to do this. I would like to know the best and most efficient way of doing this? I noticed some numbers written on the branches of the supply air, just where the main trunk branches off. These were most likely written by the installer and they look like air movement numbers. Do you know if there is a meter that I can purchase to measure the volume of air movement through each branch? Something that will not break the bank.
    Silver and Irish,
    The number of registers (supplies) and grilles (returns) mean nothing. It's all about the size of the duct. Zoning is expensive (approx. $4500) but it'll solve the problems you are both having. Balancing is the only cheap and partial solution.
    Regarding instruments to help a kleenex works just fine. Try the kleenex that on the returns as well.
    As for Paretoslaw.........I'm just trying to help.

Silver and Irish,
    The number of registers (supplies) and grilles (returns) mean nothing. It's all about the size of the duct. Zoning is expensive (approx. $4500) but it'll solve the problems you are both having. Balancing is the only cheap and partial solution.
    Regarding instruments to help a kleenex works just fine. Try the kleenex that on the returns as well.
    As for Paretoslaw.........I'm just trying to help.
    I appreciate your help, thank you.

I am going to try the Kleenex approach. What do I look for? Is it OK to assume, If the Kleenex sticks to the return it is OK or sufficient? Also if the Kleenex blows out the supply is OK? What exactly should I look for? Should I look to see how much the Kleenex blows out? I am totally uneducated on this subject and I do not know what I am looking for to determine the proper operation of my heating system.

Quote Originally Posted by silvertoolman View Post
    I appreciate your help, thank you.

I am going to try the Kleenex approach. What do I look for? Is it OK to assume, If the Kleenex sticks to the return it is OK or sufficient? Also if the Kleenex blows out the supply is OK? What exactly should I look for? Should I look to see how much the Kleenex blows out? I am totally uneducated on this subject and I do not know what I am looking for to determine the proper operation of my heating system.
    There are expensive instruments one can by to speed up the process. But taking a little time you'll accomplish your goal.
    The kleenex will help you "see" the airflow or lack there of.
    The supplies closest to the furnace will blow the hardest so those will be the ones to adjust first. Also, reduce the air to the smaller rooms; ie: guest bathrooms or the laundry room.