+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Uneven heating in house

We just moved into a two story town house and are finding that the heating is very uneven throughout the house. I would like to know how to go about balancing the hot air heating system so that we will have even heat in the entire house. The gas fired hot air furnace is located in the attic of the house. There is only one thermostat located in the living room on the first floor.

Default Re: Uneven heating in house

Balancing the heat isn't hard, on the main trunk there will be whats called a takeoff and the supply runs come off of it. In the takeoff there should be a damper, close off the dampers to the rooms that are getting to much air or are warmer than the others and open up the ones going to the colder rooms. You may have to do this a few times to get it the way you want. Try that and see if it works. Let us know how you make out. Good Luck!!!

Thanks Sten for your reply. I have located the shut offs near the main trunk of the duct system and will try, as you stated, shutting off the warm areas and opent up the cold. Hopefully this will work. I have been doing some research and found some small fans that can be installed in the ductwork. they look like they may help also. I will let you know how this all works out.

Don't shut the dampers to the warmer rooms completely, close them a little and see how that works, then open the dampers to the colder rooms a bit. Your going to have to adjust them a couple of times to get them right. Good Luck!!!

The fans your talking about are called Duct or Air Boosters and are usually used with a long supply run. Without knowing which of your runs are not giving you enough heat it's hard to say what your problem is. Take a look at the list and see what you come up with

1 If the ductwork was not properly installed that could also be your problem.
    2 Your main trunk should be a reducing trunk, this will keep the pressure up and ensure that the last runs will get enough CFMs. (two runs per section)
    3 Your takeoffs should be no closer than 18" and should not be across from each other.
    4 If your using Flex your runs should be pulled tight for less restriction and shouldn't be more than 10' long
    5 Your last run should be at least 12" from the end of the trunk and never come straight out the end.
    6 All your supplies as well as your Main Trunk should be taped, sealed and, insulated. Good Luck!!!
    Last edited by Sten; 12-22-2009 at 11:08 AM. Reason: more info

I would recommend installing a zone (damper) system in your home.
    You would have two thermostats to control the floors independently. Bonus, it will save on energy as well.
    Someone with knowledge (good luck) needs to assess your system.

hello silvertoolman
    i also have the same problem of uneven heating in the house. I have a a few runs longer than 10' made of flex. Have you fixed your problem yet? Any ideas from anyone would be great! I tried two differant companies one said the air handling was wrong and installed two more intakes on the first floor. The second tried to balance the system and turned up the fan to medium/high. My
    1st floor is still about 10 degrees colder.

Quote Originally Posted by Irishscrew View Post
    hello silvertoolman
    i also have the same problem of uneven heating in the house. I have a a few runs longer than 10' made of flex. Have you fixed your problem yet? Any ideas from anyone would be great! I tried two differant companies one said the air handling was wrong and installed two more intakes on the first floor. The second tried to balance the system and turned up the fan to medium/high. My
    1st floor is still about 10 degrees colder.
    Make sure that you have enough return air (number one problem) so the furnace isn't bumping the limit.
    Zoning is the only way to solve the problem.
    You can balance only to a point because most homes have poorly designed systems.

I am going to look into the zone damper. It sounds like something that will work. I have also been looking into individual fans for each heat register. These are also controlled by a thermostat. I am very sure my heating system is poorly installed. I have been shutting down registers in different rooms and leaving them for a while but this is slow and inconclusive. If I touch one another problem arises. It can be very frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by silvertoolman View Post
    I am going to look into the zone damper. It sounds like something that will work. I have also been looking into individual fans for each heat register. These are also controlled by a thermostat. I am very sure my heating system is poorly installed. I have been shutting down registers in different rooms and leaving them for a while but this is slow and inconclusive. If I touch one another problem arises. It can be very frustrating.
    Frustrating is the word! You should sell HVAC and just see what the competition is like. Most don't have a clue. Good luck. You'll need it.