+ Reply to Thread

Default Ceiling & Wall Separation during winter months

During the winter months the main support wall separates from the ceiling. Presently it has separated 1/4". Has anyone experienced such and does anyone have a solution to such?
    Attached is a picture showing the separation in the kitchen. I thank you in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0570.jpg 
Views:	455 
Size:	16.9 KB 
ID:	3027  

Default Re: Ceiling & Wall Separation during winter months

Could be truss uplift. This truss uplift can be controlled by installing L-shaped truss clips on the top of interior walls.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Re: Ceiling & Wall Separation during winter months

I had this same problem with a house I owned. One contractor told me it was a ventialation issue and charged a steep fee to vent my attic. This didn't work. Then I had another contractor correct the issue very simply by cutting the nails/screws that were holding the plasterboard to the truss. The ceiling immediately came back to normal position and I never had another issue during the winter months again. I saw this advice on the DIY listserv "This sort of thing usually happens when you have trusses, which are not (and should not be) nailed to interior walls so as to allow movement with seasonal temperature changes. They are fastened with slotted clips that allow the truss to slide up and down as temps change. The problem usually occurs not from the truss movement, which is normal, but from the way the drywall was installed. Drywall should not be attached to the trusses around the perimeter of the room (screws should be kept 16-24" away), so that the perimeter is allowed to float. When the drywall IS screwed solidly to the trusses at the room perimeter, it will crack and move with the trusses as they shrink and move upward. So the solution isn't really a simple one... but you would need to get in the attic and actually break the drywall off of the screws/nails holding the perimeter... perhaps by laying a short scrap of 2x4 next to the truss, and smacking it with a hammer to drop the drywall back down where it can again lay tight with the top of the wall drywall.. Good luck with that, it will probably be a recurring problem. Hanging it correctly in the first place would have helped a lot. " Hopthis helps