+ Reply to Thread

Default toilet flapper is closing prematurely

My toilet doesn't flush completely unless you hold the handle down. I've adjusted the float collar, the chain length and the rod that's attached to the handle. This is a fairly new assembly, I replaced it about a year and a half ago. The toilet tank only empties about 35%. Any suggestions?

Default Re: toilet flapper is closing prematurely

It's most important to take the cover off the tank, put a strong light overhead & WATCH THE FLUSHING ACTION SEVERAL TIMES to get a clue as to what's going wrong.

You say you've adjusted the chain on the flush handle, but since the chain is often the culprit in these cases, double-check to see that the chain is tight enough to lift the flapper completely out of the way at the start of the flush when the handle is pressed, and THAT THE FLAPPER STAYS IN A VERTICAL, OR NEAR VERTICAL POSITION until nearly all the water has evacuated the tank.

Aside from the chain problems, many flappers have a little AIR BUBBLE compartment in the back middle of the flapper that helps the flapper stay up until the water is evacuated---this air bubble often is lost & has to be replaced by draining the tank, shutting off the water supply & shaking the flapper to un-waterlog it.

Google "flapper valve closes too soon" to get more info on this topic.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/how-to-...-a-toilet1.htm
    http://www.howstuffworks.com/toilet.htm
    http://www.toiletology.com
    Last edited by Dobbs; 12-19-2009 at 02:03 PM.

I thought premature eflushulation only happened to us men. Learning something new every day on this forum.

Dobbs, I watched the flapper and realized that it's not arriving in a straight upright position. The top of the flapper assembly bumps into the overflow pipe and is prevented from standing up vertically. Can I just change it out for a different kind of flapper or do I have to replace everything, the flapper and the pipe?

Peter, this eflushation problem is in my husband's bathroom, so it's still I man's problem. I'm the one trying to fix it, though. Ain't it always this way?

woodwoman:

Before you spend money on a new valve you may not need, try going to the site below and entering "flapper valve closes too soon"---there are tons of responses and insights on exactly the problem you're having---most of the respondents mention the loss of the little air bubble as the culprit---others mention older toilet tanks and the newer 1.6 gallon tanks which have different flapper valve assemblies.

You say that the present flapper valve has been on there for the past year & a half, & it worked perfectly previously---that indicates you have the right flapper on there (even if it doesn't go completely vertical).

So first try to establish an air bubble----flush the toilet & when the water is just about completely out, quickly turn off the water supply valve near the back of the toilet.

Take a cotton Q-tip, lift the flapper by hand & work the Q-tip into the bottom center of the flapper to remove any water---re-open the water supply valve to fill the tank & see if there is any improvement.

If you DO buy a new flapper, make sure you buy the one designed for your particular tank---there should be a number stamped on the inside of the tank that says "1.6 gallons", or words to that effect, or just the number 1.6.

If you decide to buy a new assembly (complete with the refill tube), it's best to remove the old one & take it with you to the store to make sure you get an exact duplicate---ask one of the clerks to assist you.

http://www.google.com

Quote Originally Posted by woodwoman View Post
    The top of the flapper assembly bumps into the overflow pipe and is prevented from standing up vertically. Can I just change it out for a different kind of flapper or do I have to replace everything, the flapper and the pipe?
    Sometimes yes, sometimes no. "Universal" replacement parts generally don't work as well as brand/model specific parts. See if you can find OEM replacement parts, short of that, try to find a flapper that is as close to original as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by woodwoman View Post
    Peter, this eflushation problem is in my husband's bathroom, so it's still I man's problem. I'm the one trying to fix it, though. Ain't it always this way?
    Glad to see your sense of humor. And yes, many times, the best man for the job is a WOman!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I just couldn't help myself. If you can't joke and laugh....

by the by.... you probably don't need to shut off the water quickly during flush. YOu can most likely turn off the water, and flush. It will flush, but not refill the tank.

happy holidays.