Default Granite backsplash

I recently had a granite countertop installed with a beveled edge.I took the day off from work to be there, when the installers came they said that they did not have the 2" backsplash that was also ordered and had to come back another day for that. My wife was able to be home on the day they came back. When I arrived home that day I noticed 2 things,1- they did not miter the inside corner of the backsplash and 2 on the outside where the backsplash ends they did not bring it to the edge and left a space between the beveled edge and the trim on my patio door moulding.The backsplash also has a beveled edge. I can live with the inside corner problem because I'm tiling the rest of the wall between the upper and base cabinets, but I don't like the space on the outer edge. I realize that their would have been a space between the bevel on the countertop and the underside of the backsplash but that should have been takin into account when they made the countertop knowing that it was getting a backsplash. I think that their should not have been a bevel on the countertop the thickness of the backsplash to make for a more even transition between the 2. Comments please

Mike O

Default Re: Granite backsplash

I think I understand what you are saying. advice after its done isn't usually helpful. under more ideal circumstances. you should have looked at some sample kitchens in their show room or portfolio book to see what they did in these areas. good communication between client and sales staff can make a lot of difference in your satisfaction. if you don't tell them what is important to you then you generally get trade standard. which with back splashes they usually stop at the start of the top of the profile. and with granite back splashes they usually don't miter the joints, its not done like wood.
    your only real solution at this point is to go back to the sales staff and explain what you were wanting. they may be willing to replace the back splashes, though like I stated it sounds like they followed regular industry standards. to have the back splash run to your trim like you noted would leave a gap between the back splash and the lower front edge of the counter top. Honestly I have never had anyone want me to do that but if I did I would handle it this way.
    I would stop my edge profile back right before the face of the back splash so as to have more the look I think you were looking for. I just can't think of a way for them to remedy the situation now without remaking the tops and I don't see them willing to do that over this.
    I'm sorry that your not happy with your granite. granite is very beautiful and sure adds to a beautiful house.

Quote Originally Posted by havanagranite View Post
    I think I understand what you are saying. advice after its done isn't usually helpful. under more ideal circumstances. you should have looked at some sample kitchens in their show room or portfolio book to see what they did in these areas. good communication between client and sales staff can make a lot of difference in your satisfaction. if you don't tell them what is important to you then you generally get trade standard. which with back splashes they usually stop at the start of the top of the profile. and with granite back splashes they usually don't miter the joints, its not done like wood.
    your only real solution at this point is to go back to the sales staff and explain what you were wanting. they may be willing to replace the back splashes, though like I stated it sounds like they followed regular industry standards. to have the back splash run to your trim like you noted would leave a gap between the back splash and the lower front edge of the counter top. Honestly I have never had anyone want me to do that but if I did I would handle it this way.
    I would stop my edge profile back right before the face of the back splash so as to have more the look I think you were looking for. I just can't think of a way for them to remedy the situation now without remaking the tops and I don't see them willing to do that over this.
    I'm sorry that your not happy with your granite. granite is very beautiful and sure adds to a beautiful house.
    Nicely written.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Thanks for the response. Are you saying an inside corner is never mitered? What if the edge was a very decorative style, how would the inside corner look finished? Just curious.

ususally the top edge of the back splash isn't profiled if it is then it would be mitered. very seldom is it going to be profiled. especially when you take into account of the cost for edge profiling and the fancier the edge the higher the price. this is because it takes so much hand work to profile the edges. for instance even just an ogee edge on granite is going to run at least 20 dollars a foot and around this part of the country closer to 30

My backsplash does have a profile. I think for the almost 3,000 that I spent it should be done right, do you agree?

Mike O

Quote Originally Posted by whatever52 View Post
    My backsplash does have a profile. I think for the almost 3,000 that I spent it should be done right, do you agree?

Mike O
    regardless of how much you paid for it if the back splash is profiled and not square then yes it should be mitered.

For $3,000 or $500 bucks it should have been completed per specification. How you wanted it done should have been communicated to the contractor and executed. How you believe it should have been done is wishful thinking.