+ Reply to Thread

Question Who do we need to help figure out what needs fixing in an old house?

Hi!

I have a question (maybe more than one) and hope someone on here can help.

My husband owns his grandparents' old house in northeast Georgia. We want to fix it up so it can be rented. Tearing it down is not something he'd even consider (since it was his grandparents' house & he inherited it from his father when he passed away). The main part of the house has thick (about 2 feet thick) stone walls, while the back of the house was a wood porch that has been enclosed to give a little more living space. We know that the plumbing & electrical will need to be replaced & we're also planning to put in new wallboard since the walls are kinda wacky in places.

My question is this: who should we hire to go in & tell us what all else needs to be replaced or updated? And what would they charge? Also, could this person possibly give us a ballpark figure on how much all the updating will cost?

Thanks for any & all advice you have for us.

Default Re: Who do we need to help figure out what needs fixing in an old house?

I would hire a home inspector and sit down and explain what you are considering. The let him inspect the house with you present. When he finds some things that need to be fixed ask questions. Like how can it be best fixed, how it should be fixed, and how much.Once you have your list I would get three estimates from a contractor that is licensed and insured in that field. Plumber. electrician, Carpenter etc. Check refrences and hire the one you are most comfortable with. Then negotiate the price. The more you know about what is wrong the better chance of getting a good job at a fair price. A home inspection could run about $150 to $250 depending on the part of the country you live in.
    Harry

Default Re: Who do we need to help figure out what needs fixing in an old house?

Thanks for the quick response. And for the excellent advice about hiring a home inspector. After searching at a few websites, I think I may have found the right fellow for the job - he's a home inspector who does old house inspections & has a background in structural engineering. Will talk with him & see what he says.

Thinking about hiring a home inspector led me to another question -- after we get the home inspected, should we maybe talk with an architect about what we want to do? I know we're also looking at a new roof (current one has plenty of moss growing on it) and possibly moving/enlarging the stairs to the attic (which we'd like to turn into a bedroom & bathroom). Frankly, if it was left entirely up to me, we'd take it down to the outside walls & completely redo everything including the layout.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

I would suggest that you do no more than is necessary if you are going to rent it out. Rentals have a tendency to deteriorate rather quickly. If you are thinking of moving in later wait till then for any major major remodels.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks, Jack! The way things stand right now, we are looking at a major renovation even to rent the place out.

My late father-in-law owned the house before my husband & he never did anything to it, other than maybe cut the grass once in a while. We don't think the wiring has been touched since sometime around 1950's or 60's. The only time the plumbing has been updated is when a pipe has broken & new pipe was needed (most of the pipes in it are copper I think -- I know they're not PVC).

It'll be a beautiful cottage once we get everything done that needs doing.

Thanks again!