+ Reply to Thread

Default Main floor joist exposed

Looking to add insulation to main floor have access from basement but only half of the main floor. I'm thinking R19 faced should do but any ideas would be useful. I currently have a 1948 bungalo with many problems but would like to be warm and have a jump start on many of the updates that will be required when ready to sell. Thanks for any helpful hints and ideas that may come this way

Default Re: Main floor joist exposed

I too am considering insulation under the first floor. I have a partial basement and don't seem to have any problems with moisture in my basement (or cellar as it is just the original stone foundation).

My question was wether or not it will harm my flooring or cause damage to my hard wood floors that are through out the house.
    We only have one world and we all have to live here. Let's all take care of it.

Howdy R-22 is better . The last thing to do is to seal the joist cavity's because trapped moisture can cause rot and mold. so fiberglass works great and faced with paper allows moisture to move threw it .

Yes, moisture will move through it because air is moving through it. The cold air in the basement that is now cooling the floor.

The cold air is cooling the basement insulation- well consider closing the windows. HaHA!
    Been reading about super insulating homes and no one argues for not doing it because of the amazing drafty basements allowing air infiltration threw the fiberglass... Most floors are pretty air tight one can spray foam insulation out of the can around intrusions , pipes etc.