+ Reply to Thread

Default Dehumidifier freezes up

(I am not sure if this is the right category)

Anyway, I have a dehumidifier, fairly new one, worked just fine for a couple of year, and now it wants to freeze up. What is going on here? (a 45 pint from sears)

Unhappy Re: Dehumidifier freezes up

I have this question posted also on "cooling" on TOH discussions. I am surprised that there are not more responses to this question. Lots of views but only 2 replies. I am sort of disappointed on the results of my post. Surely there are other who have had the same problem with a dehumidifier.

Default Re: Dehumidifier freezes up

A dehumidifier works similarly to an air conditioner. A gas (r134) is sent thru the system as it passes thru the system it changes from a gas to a liquid and back again. As air flows thru the coils moisture condenses to water and drops into the pan. If there is not enough gas this happens to soon and freezes. It sounds like your dehumidifer may need to be checked for a leak, this is normal over time, then recharged to the proper charge weight (systems are charged by the weight of the gas).

If the ambient temperature is too low the unit will freeze up.
    Check your manual --- it should say what the lowest operating temperature should be.

If there is a build up of dust and dirt restricting air flow thorugh the unit will also cause it to freeze up.

If the humidity control is set too high when ambient temperatures are cooler ---- either reduce the level so it doesn't run so long or stop using the unit.

You can raise the dehumidifier higher off the floor ----- cooler air is closer to the floor and warmer air is closer to the ceiling.

If all else fails ---- you might be low on refrigerant.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Canuk pretty much summed it up.